Thread: Security Warning by Microsoft

Security Warning by Microsoft

I have just been reading this on AOL, I have searched the forums to see if anyone else has put this up as I don't want to annoy anyone. I think it is very interesting, however, is this ever going to end, are we ever going to be able to use the internet in peace?

MICROSOFT has warned customers about "critical" security problems with its Windows software that could let hackers quietly break into their computers to steal files, delete data or eavesdrop on sensitive information.

The US software giant, which learned about the flaws more than six months ago from researchers, said the only protective solution was to apply a repairing patch it offered on its website.

It assessed the threat to computer users as "critical" - its highest rating.

A Microsoft security executive, Stephen Toulouse, said the flawed software was "an extremely deep and pervasive technology in Windows" and urged customers to apply the patch immediately.

The US Department of Homeland Security also warned Americans about the software problems with e-mails sent across its new national cyber-alert system.

Yesterday's disclosure comes just weeks before Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates delivers a keynote speech in San Francisco at one of the industry's most important security trade conferences.

Microsoft has struggled in recent months against a tide of renewed criticism about security risks in its software, the engine for computers in most of the world's governments, corporations and homes.

"This is one of the most serious Microsoft vulnerabilities ever released," said Marc Maiffret of eEye Digital Security, which discovered the new Windows flaws.

"The breadth of systems affected is probably the largest ever. This is something that will let you get into Internet servers, internal networks, pretty much any system."

Maiffret said some computer systems that controlled critically important power or water utilities were vulnerable.

The news follows recent Doomjuice and Mydoom virus attacks on Microsoft operating systems.

Just Another Geek
    There's more info in this thread.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I highly doubt that windows or any operating system will be free of any flaws. All that can be done is when a flaw is found it should be patched and it will continue to be a never ending cycle.

I believe that you are talking about this, which is being discussed already:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=254588

And the patch info thread is here:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=254569

No harm done, just try to search a little better next time...

EDIT: Damn, Dice, ya beat me to it!
    - Maverick

The long thought after note of if M$ will ever review there code and try to find the problems in it.

Well I will say this much, they are getting better at there Patch's and there software. Maybe by the yr 2999 they should have all the bugs worked out.

This is normal, I still remember seeing on of the computers in my old office do nothing but show the BSOD after a patch was added to it. That was still just to funny to me.

Oh well, as they say live and learn.

Now I have a question, has M$ moved there own systems back over to a windows server. I know they moved it over to a *nix one when MSblaster first start hitting hard.

Maverick I am not sure if this is still a problem but I know the search function wasn't working correctly a while ago.

But, reposting a thread isn't the end of the world IMHO as some people turn it into.

Yeah Dead your right, but come on. **** they release a set of patch's and uupdates what every wednesday. I am glad my car doesn't run like that, I would never make it to work on time.

Originally posted here by whizkid2300

Now I have a question, has M$ moved there own systems back over to a windows server. I know they moved it over to a *nix one when MSblaster first start hitting hard.
    Wasnt this because Akamai (or however you spell it) was serving thier content?

Edit: Ahhh here we go: "On Friday Microsoft changed its DNS so that requests for www.microsoft.com no longer resolve to machines on Microsoft’s own network, but instead are handled by the Akamai caching system, which runs Linux."

Source

Looks like they are running 2k3 again
    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?....microsoft.com
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)