Thread: Overwhelmed

Unhappy Overwhelmed

I've always liked computers and have had a strong interest in them since I was 10. Now I'm interested in learning more about them. A friend of mine recommended this site to me and told me that I can learn lots from this site.

However, I've read a few treads here and have found myself a little confused about some of the topics and of the lingo.

Is there a starting point that I should go to and work from?

I've been told that to understand computers, I have to migrate to this Linux thing and work from there. I've also been told that I have to take on some programming of sorts.

So what should I do?

Thanks! And Hey AntiOnline!

You don't have to switch to Linux, although it is recommended starting using it at some point.
    Well, view you have no expertise yet, I would learn HTML and Javascript so you get the idea.
    Then go to a real programming language like Python (easy to learn), Java or maybe C/C++ (may be to hard in the beginning??)

Also, learn "everything" about your os, read up on networking and security, well of course focus on what interests you most.

Look in the tutorials forum of ao, it's a good place to start I think.

The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

I am not sure that is the direction that this person wants to go.

I am getting a sense that you want to learn more, don't want to become a Guru. Well to do that, I would say you hit up the Tutorial vault read a couple tutorials about Computer security and what ever paticular area of computers that you like the most. The most important thing that you need to find out riuight now is what you actually want to do on computers.

Do you want to program, Network, or do you just want to BS on them. There are so many things that you can do. I would say try a little bit of everything until you find out what you really want to do. There must be something that you like to do.

If you need any help on what paticular area to choose ask around. You can also Pm me if you like.

There is so much to learn.

Well what exactly are you wanting to learn about?

Networking?
    Programming?
    Operating Systems?

The best thing you can really do is read read read!!!

Go through the Tutorial section here, you will find a lot of helpful info there.

Secondly if your in a bookstore, find a couple books that talk about what your interested in and read it.

Secondly, if you ever have a question about how something works, post a question here.

Also if you join irc.unerror.com #lobby you will find a lot of knowledgeable people there as well.

Welcome to AO.
    =

Hey newbiegirl, welcome to AO

I know exactly what you're talking about being overwhelmed. My suggestion would be to start with one subject, and learn it inside and out. And I would start with something other than jumping right into "this linux thing". I would suggest learning about viruses first. Learn what they are. Learn the differences between viruses, worms and trojans. Learn how your anti-virus software works to stop them. Learn how they are written. Then move on to your firewall. Learn how it works, learn how the ports work and what they are for. Learn which ones you need to have blocked, and which ones are okay to have open, and why. Then move on to something a little more indepth.

Anyway, that would be my suggestion!

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Actually mind me asking what Operating System do you use ? I'm thinking windows 95,98,ME, 2000, XP ?

You could read some of the articles available on the site below :

CERT

I always suggest those links to people because the info is well written and also is not very hard to comprehend. But dont worry if you undertand something. Just give it time and patience and the it will come.

This site will help you understand "howstuffworks" [ex : How PCs Work ]

How Stuff Works

Hope those links help in one way or another.

Welcome to AO.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Welcome to AO!!!

This is how I started on my wonderful path of computers. At 8 I programmed a small game called copycat. The program was written on an IBM PC Jr. in dos. (remember how big an extra ram card was?) I was amazed at the idea behind programming. However I became uninterested due to having no help from others. I blew my knee out at 13 and could no longer play soccer so I started to spend more time watching TV and playing DOOM! I thought I had always known a good deal about computers. Well !Doom! soon became boring and I decided to start cleaning the hard drive well after about 2 gigs of crap I came upon the windows folders. Well I looked at the files in the folder and decided that we didn't need all these DLL files and wow! Was I wrong. At that point, I learned how to format and reload operating system. This then opened my eyes again. I learned HTML then java and soon after started on networking and just all around learning about computers.

So, the moral of my story is, don't worry about always knowing about the lingo cause just like RAP it is always changing (foshizzle). Like the others said visit the Tutorials and read alot you can learn alot from the people here, I know I have and I am extremely glad I found this place.

Oh! And remember at age 7 when you coach told you to just have fun, it is the same thing here. Just have fun!

(sorry about language errors)
    Adiz

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    According to your profile, you are using windows 98.

As a starting point I would begin learning how to secure yourself while you use the internet.

One starting point would be to follow the M$ advice on how to secure your system:

www.microsoft.com/security/protect

Reading the advice there will give you an idea as to what you have to do, but remember you do not have to 'buy' any of the products they are offering.

You might decide you need a firewall - Search AO & Google for free firewall software and then have a play.

Search for firewall in the AO tutorials for more details.

If you are not sure about your settings etc, you can always come back and ask questions.

Oh, and don't forget to read the threads around here as you go along and if you don't understand, ask.

Oh, and welcome to AO

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com