Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "windows" is a generic term. MS looses law suit.

Difficult to say what the European reaction would be. The windows GUI is not a Microsoft invention, and I do not think that Microsoft have ever maintained that it was.............in fact I seem to recall them getting into a little legal "bother" themselves in the early days

I think Tiger is quite right that is is "Microsoft Windows" with the little logo that is trademarked, not a windows based GUI.

I have a much more cynical view of Microsoft's intentions.................they are actually running scared of a Linux OS with a familiar Windows GUI feel to it?................it could make serious inroads into their business if it is well done and well marketed?

The main problem with most *nix distros is they are not user friendly in so far as they require some knowledge. They are not for your average home user or office user. They do not have the support or the software either, unless you get a commercial distro that is as expensive as MS.

If someone puts out a product that is as easy to use as MS Windows, then MS will be in big trouble commercially.................they may have said "sorry" but they are just as monopolistic as they ever were?

Cheers

Nihil, I can think of 2 of those. OS/2 and Mac. Mac was always 10 time easier than windows but you couldn't tweak it much so the masses chose M$. I was going to say there was 3 and add Solaris but that was way outside normal operations. While OS/2 is pretty dead it was ok. Still have one running voice recognition software.