Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft follows Valve? (Win2K/NT Source Code Leaked)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Add SlashDot now to the list of "Making the rounds".

Microsoft says no leak
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Custom User
    The point that I would like to make about this is that microsoft should not have to hide their code to maintain security. I am not suggesting that they should make all their code freely available (that just isn't going to happen), but one of the major rules in security is that you shouldn't have to hide the methods that you have employed to secure your system in order to maintain security. I believe this holds true for the source code of windows.

It is irrelevant whether or not people can view the code and exploit bugs (well...maybe not irrelevant); microsoft should have fixed these errors. Obviously the code for windows must be so vast that it would be impossible to fix everything.

As for "this reporter" worrying about the potential for critical systems being compromised by the leaking of source code...if they were that critical, the people running them should not have depended on hiding the bugs in the code (like sweeping rubbish under the bed) in order to keep them secure.

Lastly, I am not sure that you could compare the leaking of windows 2000/NT code to the leaking of valve code in that windows 2000 and windows NT had already been released for a considerable amount of time before this happened. As far as I am aware, valve's code was leaked before they had a chance to release it which could have had serious ramifications when they tried to sell it.

ac

Oh.. I found it!!

Windows 2000 Source Code

They lied!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

lol MSM...

If windows has a fast CPU, insert wait states... love that one.

NeoWin Mirror for those that can't get to it.

"Supposed" Win2K File listing (I've got a copy of this in case it goes down). And I'll find more NeoWin mirrors for those interested in "investigating" this.

[/edit]

Another NeoWin Mirror

Nice one MsM, but it didn't fool me for long

The:

set_icons (ugly)

instruction was missing

You may laugh RoadClosed but I recall Microsoft actually releasing a fix that did precisely that.

I think it was Win98/Me? what was happening was that machines with fast processors were shutting down before the HDD cache had been written to the drive so people were losing data. The "fix" just put a few seconds delay into the shutdown sequence

Cheers

OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

That's the file tree listing homeboy.

Also, there are a few torrents up now, as well as some things on p2p networks, that are supposedly the full sources that have been released/stolen. Do a simple search for more information.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a copy of it and seeing what makes it tick. I think it was planned to be the Hoax of the year that is speading like wildfire. But only time will tell if it is true or just plain bullshit to get a rise out of people

Doesn't appear to be a hoax anymore.

CBC Report

EATTLE (AP) - Microsoft Corp. said late Thursday that portions of its Windows source code - the tightly guarded blueprints of its dominant operating system - had been leaked over the Internet.

Microsoft spokesman Tom Pilla said in an interview with The Associated Press that some incomplete portions of the Windows 2000 and Windows NT4 source code had been "illegally made available on the Internet." Access to the source code could allow hackers to exploit the operating system and attack machines running Windows, which is used on hundreds of millions of computers worldwide.

The company was made aware of the leak on Thursday and is investigating, Pilla said. He did not know how much of the code had been leaked or how many people may have gained access to it. The company could not immediately pinpoint the source of the leak, and has contacted law enforcement authorities.

Pilla said there was no indication the code leak was a result of a breach of Microsoft's corporate network. There was no known immediate impact to Microsoft customers, he said.

© The Canadian Press, 2004