Thread: weird IM problem

weird IM problem

(16:54:44) Username: how far can you get? http://www.buddylinks.net/night_raptor/

every time I take my AWAY msg down, I get a wierd link from my friend, but he is not sending it and it is always of a game from buddylinks.net.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It's a virus-like annoyance. Read about it here

[/edit]

Google News Articles on it

This quote might answer your question:

That is the way some AOL Instant Messenger users are describing an unwanted trick message that's making the rounds of AIM buddy lists. Fortunately, it is not a computer virus.

The message, which appears to come from someone on a computer user's buddy list, contains a link to what's purported to be an Osama bin Laden game. Along with the message comes up a pop-up box asking whether the user wants to install a program.

If the user clicks "yes" to install the program, adware is installed on the computer that delivers advertisements or promotions. Clicking "yes" also appears to give the sender's permission to send a duplicate instant message to everyone on the user's buddy list.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I have not got any complaints on my part, is there a chance I may have got it from him?

You might want to have your friend look into this program -
    http://www.ydfesports.com/forums/index.php?download=18

is there a chance I may have got it from him?
    If you went to the site and let the program install, you probably have it.

You should get Ad-aware (click) and scan your computer with it at least once a week. Keep it updated. Its free for home users.