Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thumbs.db

Banned

thumbs.db

Hi all.
    I'm not sure if its related to security or not..but I'm gonna ask it anyway.
    My computer is running Windows XP Pro with 128 MB Ram.My question is,that in almost every folder of my computer I have these 2 hidden files named "thumbs.db" and "Desktop.ini".I delete them but they come back again.And they are kind of a pain because when I'm copying stuff from my computer to somewhere they get copied too and that sucks cuz it costs me extra disk space.Is that a virus producing these files or what?What can I do to remove it?

What is Thumbs.db?

http://www.fcs.iastate.edu/computer/...bs/default.htm

desktop.ini?

http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/t...esktop_ini.htm

First 2 hits on Google...

EDIT: You should know better???

Jeez Louise...your kidding me.
    __ ___
    ,$$$&,.$$$$$,
    4$\'`$$4$OooOdSS$$b
    $$,`$$$$$$PbŠŠw‚‚d ,oo.
    $$$$$$$$$$$þ $þ b, d$$$$
    `$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$f$P,$$oo$\'
    ,4$$$$b\'`4$$$$$$$f$f$$b$$P\'
    ,d$$$$$$b,. \'\'\"\"\"ýýýýý\"\'üü
    ,d$$$$$$$$$$$Püýø\"\"\"\"\"\"øýü
    .,gl$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o,..
    .,goatdd$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$SSlttooa..
    ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$b d$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    g $$$$$\' $$ ,$$P\' ,. `4$$b d$$P\' ,. `4$b d$$ $$\' d$$$$$ p
    $$ üüü$$b 4$$$$o$\' ,$$\' ,d$$b. `$$b d$$\' ,d$$b `4$b $$$o o$\' $$$$üüü $$
    $$$$$$$$$ $$Pýø\' ,$$\' ,d$$\'$b. `$$ l$$. `$$$$b,d$$ `$$$ $$ $.`$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$ $$$ý$$: I$? :G$; $D; $$;`&$$, `4$$$$$\' $ `$$ $$,$$ $$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$ $$; `$C lO% œOl $$$ `$$$b, `$$$b $$. $$ $$$$\',$$$$$$$$
    4$$$$$$$ $$$o$\' $b`$ :G$ ;$D; $$\',$$`$$$$. `$$.$$$,$$ $$\' ,$$$$$$$P
    ooo$$$ $$\' $$$$$, `4$,$$P ,$$$$$$ `b$$$$, `$$$$$$$$ $$,$$$$$ooo
    $$$$$P $$.$ $$\' `$$ `4$$P\' ,$$\' `$$, `$$$P\' ,$$\' `$$P $$$\' `$$$$$
    $$$$$\' `$$$,$$. ,$$$,. `\' ,$$$. ,$$$b,. .d$$$. ,$$\' `$$. ,$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar

Lightbulb

That's great...."Look two files....what are these?.....I dunno but I don't want them.......Delete......WTF!

Don't be too hard on him, guys. If it weren't for folks like him, we would all be unemployed!
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

Banned
    Originally posted here by 576869746568617
    That's great...."Look two files....what are these?.....I dunno but I don't want them.......Delete......WTF!

Don't be too hard on him, guys. If it weren't for folks like him, we would all be unemployed!

That's not funny.By the way..I tried deleting the files but couldn't do so cuz it comes back as soon as I delete it.And what's funny about asking a question about something you don't understand?I don't find it funny.

Actually, IMO it is quite funny....you did exactly what he described......

Just for future reference, before you go deleting "mysterious" files, you may want to take a minute or two to find out what they do...I promise it will save you headaches...

EDIT: I have never done anything like that in my life, and anybody says that I did is a big fat liar!!!!

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by ali1
    That's not funny.By the way..I tried deleting the files but couldn't do so cuz it comes back as soon as I delete it.And what's funny about asking a question about something you don't understand?I don't find it funny.
    Actually, it seems quite funny. It makes as much sense as someone going out and removing engine components from their car because they don't know what they do. Hmmm...for some reason my car won't start since I took all those nasty wires off of the engine-thingy.

Ali1...upon further consideration I've decided you're right...this isn't funny. IT'S ST00PID!!!!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    OK...so tell me what do these files do?

ummm.. geee.. Ali...

what do they do ? Did you even bother clicking on the links groovicus provided ?
    Couldn't you just read up a bit in google about them ? We can't babysit everyone.

If you're going to make backups and don't want the files included, then delete the files from within the burner app's software window before telling it to burn. Or if it's to a HDD, then delete the files later on..

I would guess that this is why M$N makes them 'Hidden Files' in the first place. And yes this thread is hilarious (perhaps it should be in 'Tech Humor')
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown