Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft is spying on me?!

Microsoft is spying on me?!

I stumbled upon this on a website, it's an article about how microsoft logs all it's user's web activity. I tried some of the things it said to do like open the c:/windows/local system/content.ie5/index.dat file with edit in dos and i was supposed to see every website i've ever been to and anything i've ever searched in a search engine "in plain text", but it only contained one url: the microsoft update url. im beginning to think it was a joke, the author wrote it in the tone of some kind of paranoid, UFO seeing, psycho(at one point he accuses microsoft of scanning his hard drive for suspicous files on a regular basis). I looked at most of the registry entries and such that they claimed information about me was hidden, but i didn't find anything. anybody know if there is any truth to this?

scary article about microsoft logging activities and stuff

Hi,

I am afraid your link does not work anymore, so I cannot comment on the actual article.

Yes, a lot of personal data is stored on your computer by IE, windows OS, and MS Office. It is generally intended to improve speed and functionality, but can pose a security risk. For example, a lot of "spyware" harvests this information and reports it back to base.

I don't think that MS scan his HDD, even for pirate MS software. I think that such activity would be commercially suicidal? The only scanning is the MS update utility.

Do a search for a utility called "@winspy".................that should frighten you

You might also look in C:\windows\history\

Cheers

Some extra HTML was put into the link, some <br> among other things. I editted that out and came up with the real article: http://www.groovyweb.uklinux.net/ind...our%20Computer You can find the original article at: http://****microsoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

Update: Some of this information does appear real, but I wouldn't be worried. It mostly appears normal. I would suggest just running ad-aware, or some other spyware utility. If you do this, you should be fine.

Some of the information is incorrect, and you'll have to correct some of their typos. I wouldn't recommend doing a lot of that stuff unless you understand what you're doing WITHOUT accepting their recommendations. Altering system files and registry is rarely a good thing unless you know what's going on.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

WHOA! don't surprise me tho', if your connected to internet everyday, your computers open and can do something really uncalled for.... i hate windows.. LINUX REVOLUTION......WHO'S WITH ME....BURN BILL
    Suicide bombers?..............there are too many of them
    -(George Dubya)

Phonedog,

I use these two to keep the windows partition clean. Beware , the first time you use any of the adware/bot removers you may have a "Charmin Moment". You'll really be surprised at how many (mostly harmless though) critters will be there.

For Lavasoft's Adware 6.0: www.lavasoftusa.com

For Spybot Search and Destroy: www.safer-networking.org

Anyway, have a good one.

yes yes

The full article, and the original is at www.microsuck.com
    It was written for them. I have found a few more of the index.dat files that weren't mentioned in that article...the registry paths are in one of my posts in the OS Specific Forum, dunno which though...though I think there is only two. It's strange how two days ago I sent MS a few lengthy emails about this...I have since reinstalled Windows. I had many problems, couldn't visit many sites offering other browsers, half-assed uninstallation of IE6 led to destruction of Windows Explorer and most other things on here. Don't screw with the system, the most anyone can really do is find all of the index.dat files they know of, and create a BAT file to delete them upon startup or shutdown. I dunno if MS purposely messes with people meddling where they shouldn't or if my PC coincidentally screwed up horribly...It is MS Windows after all, so either is very possible.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

i use adaware and spybot, but i just couldnt believe that microsoft was keeping records of all web activity. did you guys read the article? im not talking about gator and malware, it says that windows never really deletes your history and temp files, that they are hidden on your hd and take up alot of space.

i usually run a program called window washer, would that take care of this type of thing? even the "super hidden files" that this guy claims exist? i also have evidence eliminator but that takes a long time to run

Microsuck is a microsoft hate site.......

Why would MS be interested in knowing which all sites u visit....

I guess this topic was discussed earlier too...... Again MS sacnning user PC's I guess it could be for auto updates or other online services....

It there was such a case zi am sure MS would be out of business by now.....

Regards
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

Axess, the article was originally found at http://www.****microsoft.com, as I posted in the beginning. That contains a link to the full article, as well as the original. http://www.microsuck.com is another mirror of that site (or possibly the original.) But as with all mirrors, it doesn't really matter which one you use for referencing an article.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

Phonedog,

it says that windows never really deletes your history and temp files, that they are hidden on your hd and take up alot of space.
    Remember that NOTHING is ever deleted, it is just flagged as available for re-use

The real problem arises when you have files that are not made available and are cumulative in nature.

This cleaning/shredding software works to some extent, and some are better than others, if you look in the forensics tutorials you will find some interesting contributions from Groovicus on this subject.

There is a utility called "Xen", that seems to do a pretty good job, but use it with CARE

DON'T let it mess with your fonts.

Cheers