Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microsoft is spying on me?!

Originally posted here by Eonfire

Cue my WindowsMe crashing anytime soon..........

Man, people will be resorting to black magic before long in fits of vengeance..................
    My windows messed up already! Ha! I was messing with the registry and am sure it was my own fault, but hey, you never know..........

Time to get the spells out! Bill Gates here i come! (j/k)

Eonfire

Please start another thread under "hardware" and tell us your system details and what errors you get, frequency and all................I know that this is a security site, but we look at all things? and will try to help if we can.

Cheers

One final comment on this is that if you want to delete your index.dat files this is very easy.
    You don't need any special software to do this.

Just boot your PC in safe mode (with command prompt).

Get yourself to the root directory with "cd \"
    Then type "del index.dat /s".

Works on every version of Windows, both the 9x line and the NT line using either FAT or NTFS.
    The index.dat files will all get recreated, but they will start off empty, so providing you have deleted all the normal files, your PC will be pretty clean.

I do this from time to time to remove the garbage , as well as for security reasons.
    After all, what is the point of a 600Kb index.dat file, when it will work quite happily with a 32Kb one

MS does acknowledge that these files can get very bloated, but gives no reason for this, or how to delete them

Originally posted here by nihil
    Eonfire

Please start another thread under "hardware" and tell us your system details and what errors you get, frequency and all................I know that this is a security site, but we look at all things? and will try to help if we can.

Cheers
    OK sorry Nihil, i seem to be making silly mistakes at thge moment because i 'm still trying to work out where to put stuff. I'll have to spend a day or two having a good look around here so that i get a better idea of where to put posts.

oh yes the m$ spying on me thing well its all false...all of it!
    microsoft respects the rights and privacy of all its customers by supplying only the best and nearly flawless operating systems you could possibly find!!
    <YEA RIGHT!!!>
    windows is packed with spyware....as stated before by others,your best bet is adaware or spybot,or if you are like me its both because when ever you recieve updates from windows ...which is always sinse they are always finding flaws...you will find a specail treat in the way of spyware that comes with your update.
    get those and rid yourself of bill gates "prying eyes"

CYB3R.