Thread: rant vs Linksys

rant vs Linksys

Hello:
    Everytime I am going to buy new hardware I try to do at least a bit of research, this time doing research and asking "experts" didn't pay off. The purpose of this post is just to let know the AO users just how bad Linksys tech support is.

I have at home a linksys befw11s4 v4 wireless Router for sharing my DSL connection. I wanted to extend the range of my network, so I found that the Linksys WAP11 Access Point has a repeater mode. I asked linksys tech support if the access point would repeat the signal from my router, they said it would. I went and bought the thing. After setting it up, there was no activity in the repeater, I emailed Linksys and they said the first tech support guy was wrong and that I needed another access point, so that one AP is setup to "access point " mode and the other one set to "repeater" mode. I trusted them again and again it didn't work they said now that I needed two AP's version 2.6, mine were the newest 2.8! I think this is a bunch of BS, if repeater mode won't work why do they make the option available in the configuration screen! Has anybody used this mode successfully?
    Maybe the whole thing was my fault, trusting tech support twice...
    It is a shame that a supposedly respectable company like Cisco/Linksys has tech support which only gives misleading info.

Although I love my wired Linksys router, I have had a lot of problems on the wireless network I set up for my mother in law. (She needed Tivo to be able to play music from her computer so I got her a Linksys befw11s4) I have not been happy with it.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

AO French Antique News Whore
    Wireless Configuration is always paintfull!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by SDK
    Wireless Configuration is always paintfull!
    The wireless part went ok. Got that up and running with the 128 bit encryption, but every 2 days (when the IP address lease comes up) the TIVO and the computer attached to it by wire lose the IP address and cannot get a new one. I am looking right now to see if there are any open issues about this...
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)