Thread: 'Do Not E-Mail' Site a Scam

'Do Not E-Mail' Site a Scam

So here is another scam to get your personal information.
    Consumers should not submit their e-mail addresses to a Web site that promises to reduce unwanted "spam" because it is fraudulent, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said on Thursday.
    Though the Web site found at (http://www.unsub.us) promises to reduce unsolicited commercial e-mail, those who sign up could end up receiving more spam than ever or even fall victim to identity theft, the FTC said.
    From this artical
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

hmmm. go figure....
    guess you can't trust anybody now a days.
    +++++++-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-++++
    +|p|h|a|s|e| |o|n|e| |r|e|t|a|l|i|a|t|i|o|n|++
    +++++++-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-++

http://www.antiphishing.org/ a good website that keeps track on this type of activity
    -HDD

Moxnix,

In harmony with your thread, here's a scam I just received last night. If I would have responded by email.......

Hello, Dear Customer.

Your order ID: XXXXXXXXXX (were numbers of course)

02/08/2004 you have ordered the notebook (New P3 Direct 17" Wide TFT Notebook-with Pentium- 4 3.0GHz Power.) with free-of charge delivery.

We are very sorry, but we cannot deliver it to you in promised terms, because we have problems with our delivering company. Your order can not be delivered earlier than in 28 days. Sorry for inconveniences.

You have been billed and if time of delivery do not arrange you, you can cancel your order and refund money here:

http://www.hardware-4sale.net/ (more letters and numbers after the .net)

Your money will be returned to you without any fee.

If you have any questions mail here: help@hardware4sale.net

(end)

I reproduced it verbatum and I must say it was hard not to correct their grammar as I typed, but at least their spelling was accurate. Obviously I went to the url and no duh, no one home. I'll probaby set up a free email with yahoo or someone just to play along them. But sure looks like they want an email response because of course I would question this and want to know what the heck it was... Notice not a shread of personal identificatin was listed on the email. Probably just a bulk mailer. But someone will fall prey.

Scams everywhere...

Thanks for listening to a grumpy old fart...lol

I always report this stuff...............you will find a link on the front page (FBI & Secret Service),

But being a nice guy, I sometimes let the IRS know..............after all the proceeds of crime are taxable and they were the guys who put Al Capone in Joliet?.......... OK I am English, so I have no personal views on the IRS, other than very positive ones...............always found them helpful.

Just a thought

A but as the saying goes, "there's and idiot born every 5 seconds".
    And with that many idiots running around no wonder some of these types of scams are so succesuful..

..::front2back::..

A but as the saying goes, "there's and idiot born every 5 seconds".
    And with that many idiots running around no wonder some of these types of scams are so succesuful..
    I couldn't agree more with you there .:front2back:., way to many people don't have a clue as to what they are doing, most people don't even understand what a computer is but still use it. The FBI shouldn't be wasting their time chasing the writers of these scams but instead have the government put up stricked rules like needing to have a licence in order to go online (there was an article on this on Yahoo! about a year ago or so).
    -HDD