Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't view web page...

as far as i can see you got no negative points.. the thread is even. but even if you did get negs, you never, ever bitch about them.. that only brings more negs. you're new that that assignment bar of yours will read that way until later on.. and that bar isn't reflecting points that you have recieved.. it's how you tend to assign points.. you should probably read some of the FAQs and posts in the newbie area and the bug area for explanations on how things work..

and I was using IE to view your page.. i tried opera and it was fine too.. but mozilla gave me a ""www.sunwebs.cslab.utpb.edu" was not found."

OK,
    I appreciate the info...
    I won't bitch about my Anti-Points anymore... Just struck me funny, I guess...
    Still don't understand why my webpage won't show...
    But the speedy replies are much appreciated...
    Anyways...
    Anti-Online is the BEST computer security forum I've found on the net..
    And the last thing I want is to be looked down upon...
    But anyways... All the help is MUCH appreciated...
    Perhaps some day I'll be able to help Anti-Online newbies out as much as you've helped me..
    Much thanks...
    Wiski C.

PS - I'm Driunk... Hence the name...
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Hi,

I am using IE6 SP1 and an ADSL link from the UK.......I get "not found" as well

EDIT: I am now using a different machine (same ADSL link)

IE 6 SP1: Page not found
    Opera7: WILL display the page but not the top three images.......when I try to force it to display them it says they are not on the server (check the path?)
    Mozilla 1.6: Same as Opera, finds the page OK but cannot find the images

First machine is Win XP SP1, this is Win Me.

??????????????????

Cheers

Nihil I get a page not found as well... using IE6SP1, Firefox and Opera7 all on Win XP and Mozilla on vector Linux - so either wiskic has taken it offline..... or he has no index page.

wiskic - any chance of giving us the specific URL including the page name?

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

wiskic10_4 -
    I live in the Pacific NW, as does moxnix, and I have no trouble accessing your web page. The system I used is running Windows 98se and Internet Explorer 5.5 . . . with all available updates and patches to date. I did not have to adjust my firewall settings to bring up the page either.

Apparently your web page will only be seen by us folks out here!! (Maybe it's a rain thing!).

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

OK

Next steps.......................

1. I will logoff this one and go to the XP and 98se machines and load Opera and Mozilla and try again.

2. I will try it all, on all three, on 56.6 dial up?

3. I will try again tomorrow

Can't think of much else at the moment, but my thinking/questions is/are:

1. Browser
    2. Connection type
    3. Operating system
    4. ISP
    5. Defective kit on the net

I am afraid I am not able to test different Telcos.........too bloody expensive over here? anyways in this part of the world they all use the same kit...............it is just how they split up the money?

I would love to be able to have a stab at it via satellite and cable as well.

At the end of the day I would probably find that they just have a manky server?

Cheers

actually with firefox I currently get a sunwebs.cslab.utpb.edu cannot be found error (IE still comes up with a page not found... which in combination with vvirtho's statement

I live in the Pacific NW, as does moxnix, and I have no trouble accessing your web page
    leads me to feel that the server you've put the webpage on isn't entirely accessible to the public.... you guys all at the same college or something?

Nihil - in general terms

I doubt it's a browser issue - between us you and I have tried the 3 most widely used browsers - if it ain't showing on any of those I would seriously say that wiskic needs to take his HTML classes again
    as for connections - well you've tried ADSL... I've tried cable - I doubt 56k would do much if it doesn't come up on broadband
    OS - again I doubt this - OS type doesn't normally make much of a difference with straight HTML - ok so js, java etc might be blocked depending upon how you've got your browser set up but we should at least be able to see something - not a page error
    ISP - possible but... given that I very much suspect you and I and a few others here are on different ISP's - I doubt this too
    defective kit - again possible and not something I can test for either.

Personally I'd say its some kind of server issue... given that firefox can't even find the server I'd suggest that

- the server is down (but I think this unlikely) OR
    - the server is a restricted one - given it is in an educational domain I think this is likely.... as to why moxnix can get on to it... at the moment - buggered if I know!

oh yes - can I also correct you nihil - in this part of the world we don't all use the same kit - ADSL does I'll grant you that (thanks to BT) but cable doesn't (well up to a point anyway - obviously we all use the same backbones once we get to the london node).

Z

Actually,
    I made the page w/ MS FrontPage (I know, I know....), and so the HTML must be pretty screwed up (at leat this is what I'm told...). Think maybe that has something to do with it? And the actual page name is:
    http://sunwebs.cslab.utpb.edu/team-4/index.html
    I'm gonna head up to the school later on today - maybe upload a new page written in 'straight' html - see if that helps... I'm gonna try a few different browsers here at the house first, though...
    - Wiski C.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

lol wiskic... as much as I detest frontpage - even it can't screw up HTML that badly ! No I don't think its the HTML - as long as you've got the standard elements in there i.e. html, head and body tags as well as the closing tags then we should be able to see something. the actual page name doesn't help either - still get the same as previously. I'm still thinking its a server/permissions issue myself

Z

Update

I think it is a server issue.
    I can not connect to the page now at all. Yesterday when I connected, it was on a windows XP sp1 box using Mozilla Firefox. Today using both URL's you have supplied, using Firefox, IE6, Firebird, Mozilla, and Opera, I can not connect to it at all.
    "The page cannot be displayed" is the error I get.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown