Thread: problem with SuSE install

problem with SuSE install

i was installing suse, and it said that my partition could not be resized. i went in to windows and did scandisk and defrag, but it still said it couldnt do it. it said to use "other means". does anyone know how i can resize my windows partition without using the one that comes with suse, and without losing all my data? i need something that is free, shareware is ok too.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Are you using Windows XP? I know that SuSE (up to v8.1 Pro. as far as I'm aware of) is not capable to resizing Windows XP partisions as XP uses NTFS as oppsed to FAT32. You will have to resize the Windows partion separately from the actual SuSE installation.
    For this, the best program to use is Partision Magick, however you'll have to pay for it. I suggest that you do some searching about on the internet to find a good partision manager.
    BUT BE CAREFULL! Always make backups of your data, DO NOT FULLY DEPEND ON THESE PRODUCTS.
    Also, from experience I suggest that you do a test run on partioning on some old computer before you go for it just to be on the safe side
    -HDD

Originally posted here by HDD
    Are you using Windows XP? I know that SuSE (up to v8.1 Pro. as far as I'm aware of) is not capable to resizing Windows XP partisions as XP uses NTFS as oppsed to FAT32.
    i am using XP, but it is a FAT32 partition.
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Developer Extraordinar
    What is the exact error? Are you sure that you arn't going over the amount that your are allowed to? Last time I resized, everything went fine, mind you, I was using NTFS.

Peace

MB

The error is something along the lines of "YaST encountered an error when shrinking your windows partition. Boot in to windows and run scandisk and defrag. If this error occurs again, you must shrink your partition by other means." Like i said, i ran scandisk and defrag. There were a couple of files defrag couldnt move, could that be what is causing this?

slick