Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Registration

Post WinXP Registration

When i was browsing through my system tools today in XP, i noticed one tool called Register Windows XP, which got me wondering. If i formatted my HDD, and re-installed XP on it, when it asked me for my registration number, would it accept my old one, or would i have to call microsoft or something? if it would accept my old one, how would they know i didnt just give my CD's to a friend and he would use my key?

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

There are two differnent things with windows XP. first is registration, which you do not have to do if it asks, you can just cancle. The second is Activiation, which you DO have to do, else your OS is disabled in 13 days or so. The code that you have with windows is known by microsoft. This code is associated with the specific hardware in your machine. It knows you have X motherboard and y network card, etc. etc. If the hardware assiciated with the machine changes too much, you have to reactiviate. AFAIK you cannot have two seperate machines activiated witht he same code at the same time, though you certainly can move your license to another machine, which will require you to reactivate, and probably, deactivate yolur old one.

Banned
    The second is Activiation, which you DO have to do, else your OS is disabled in 13 days or so.
    My Windows XP Home CD requires activation or it's disabled in 29 days. My WinXP Pro CD doesnt require Activation at all.

My Windows XP Home CD requires activation or it's disabled in 29 days. My WinXP Pro CD doesnt require Activation at all.
    Really, now I didn't know that (about the XP Pro that is). Send me a copy...heh heh heh, not really, but that is a good thing to know. My next computer is going to have Pro on it, and that means I can upgrade the XP Home on this one to Pro also.
    My apologies to those of you who are purists, but if I buy and pay for it, I do not consider it wrong to use it where ever I wish (as long as it is on my own equipment).
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

XP Pro is designed for businesses that have lots of computers and it would just be dumb to make them buy a cd for each computer now wouldnt it Thats probably why you dont need to activate it.

Originally posted here by hellforgedangel
    XP Pro is designed for businesses that have lots of computers and it would just be dumb to make them buy a cd for each computer now wouldnt it Thats probably why you dont need to activate it.
    That would be XP Pro volume license (aka XP Corp) not just regular old XP Pro.

nd it would just be dumb to make them buy a cd for each computer now wouldnt it
    I try not to respond until I have had at least one cup of coffee...but OMG! What world do you live in? Selling multiple licenses is exactly how software companies make money. The other way software companies make money is by litigation geared towards those that pirate multiple instances of an OS.

There are 3 instances when registration is not required (From Microsoft's website)

1) Direct original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) usually choose to implement a version of WPA that will be locked to a machines firmware (BIOS).

2) Windows Product Activation is not needed in 64-bit versions of Windows XP.

3) Volume Licensing (VL) media (sic) do not require activation. Setup does require entry of an organization's unique product key, which is generally provided in an answer file.

Hi,

Ordinary XP pro requires an activation code..................this machine is on about #5

I kept changing the physical configuration of the box

What I did notice though, is that I did not have to register on the internet, I just phoned Microsoft and punched in the product key and automatically got an activation code. This means that the control is on the local machine.

If I were unscrupulous, I could load XP pro onto several other machines and get an activation code for each one. They would not be able to tell if they were new machines or just me messing about with a single machine.

As they regard me to be an OEM, I get a sticker, booklet and CDs for each build. The sticker has the unique Product Key and I am supposed to attach it prominently to the case. When I phone for a number and key it in, the activation code I have been given interacts with the unique product key on the machine and generates the activation code.

I have noticed that this changes every time I do it on the same machine, and it is stored locally.

I would personally not buy a machine without the CD and sticker

Cheers

Thanks for realigning us alittle. I do feel for the home user though. He will also need multiple software licenses even if he wants XP on his home (home ver) computers. But thank goodness for Linux. Although window$ is installed on all of our home computers, so is Linux. Long live SuSE 8.2 pro and my good ole Slackware!

Home / Forums / General Technology Forums / Operating Systems /

windows xp , xp pro , 2003 server activation

check out my post on xp activation
    this might help.