Thread: Viewing backup files

Viewing backup files

We have 2 windows server 2003, servers, and I have them both set to backup daily to the two seagate tape backup drives that are in them.

My question is, is there anyway to actually go into the tape and look at the files on there like you can with a floppy or CD-ROM?

I went to my computer, but don't see the tape backup drives. I am able to backup to them via the backup utility, but just want to make sure that the files are there, cause we are talking about years and years of financial data from this company on those tapes.
    lol

thanks.
    =

yeah the problem with backup tape drives is that the data isn't sequentially arranged. usually you have to dump the whole thing somewhere to search within it.

I'm probably using poor terminology with my above statements but the answer is no, the data isn't just available like you'd have on a cd... it's not a random access type of thing.. unless there were a third party type of tool to sift thru it.

allright.

I was just hoping that I'd be able to see it, but I guess I can't.

I'll try searching to see if theres some third party app somewher that might possibly let me do that.

thanks for you help sdg.
    =