Thread: Netcat v1.1 for windows: wont work

Unhappy Netcat v1.1 for windows: wont work

I have a Windows XP computer and I've just downloaded Netcat v1.1 for windows from @stake/L0pht. I've unzipped the files and put them into a self-specified directory. Now when I try to Run Netcat it comes up and says-
    CMD line:
    Although this is not the problem. I will try to type something, and then it will quickly go off. I have access to the C++ files before it was compiled. I think that something in C++ like
    -cin.get();
    would work.
    you want commitment put on your best suit, get your arms around me now we\'re goin\' down down down

If you simply type in 'nc' in the command line then NetCat wont be able to determine what you are trying to do and therefore will give the you 'Cmd Line:' where it will wait for a command.
    To get a full list of features, simply type in 'nc -h' or 'nc' and then '-h' when it says 'Cmd Line:'
    -HDD

Re: Netcat v1.1 for windows: wont work

Originally posted here by lan9
    I have a Windows XP computer and I've just downloaded Netcat v1.1 for windows from @stake/L0pht. I've unzipped the files and put them into a self-specified directory. Now when I try to Run Netcat it comes up and says-
    CMD line:
    Although this is not the problem. I will try to type something, and then it will quickly go off. I have access to the C++ files before it was compiled. I think that something in C++ like
    -cin.get();
    would work.

Yea dude, you have to run Netcat from the command line (there is no GUI), not the Run box in Windows.. Start-Run-cmd... Navigate to the directory that you unzipped the Netcat files to, then type in nc with your options... As HDD mentioned, you can get a list of all of the options and switches by typing in nc -h....
    - Maverick

so would that mean i have to unzip the file into system32?
    what command would i have to put in to go from cmd to netcat?
    you want commitment put on your best suit, get your arms around me now we\'re goin\' down down down

Originally posted here by lan9
    so would that mean i have to unzip the file into system32?

No, you can create a shortcut to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, place the shortcut on your desktop, then edit the shortcut to make it's Start In directory the directory that you unzipped your Netcat files to.... Then, when you click on it from the desktop, it will bring up a command line already in the directory that you need to be in for Netcat... You definately don't want to unzip those files into system32......

what command would i have to put in to go from cmd to netcat?
    Not sure what ya mean?
    - Maverick

I to am a bit confussed, I didn't realize that you weren't running NetCat from the command line in the first place. As Maverick811 said there is no GUI for NetCat.

What I would do is to unzip nc.exe into C:\WINDOWS\System32 and then simply goto the command line through Start -> Run -> 'cmd'. Then in the command line simply type in 'nc -h' to get a list of all the help files.
    For more help on the commands in MS-DOS goto ComputerHope there you will find a good list of commands in MS-DOS.
    I have added the README file from the *nix version of NetCat it is a good read and will give you an idea of what NetCat is all about. If you want tutorials on it then all you have to do is search google as there are millions of them everywhere.
    -HDD

Oh i see. Now its working! thnx much.

lan9,

Don't be afraid to search this site or google before downloading a program. There's a lot of great threads here. In fact here's one just for you:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ghlight=netcat

enjoy.

Thumbs up

Also in run you can type in "cmd" in run and you dont need a shortcut
    Every thing that has a begining has an end.