Thread: win xp pro parallel port

win xp pro parallel port

Hello,
    I am new to Windows XP Pro, but I bought it with my new computer.

I have a gameshark for a video game system that can plug in to the parallel port on a computer. I downloaded the required software, but it says it only works with Windows 95/98 and ME. So I plugged it in, and I changed the compatibility mode to Windows 98/ME, and selected "turn off advanced text services.." and "disable visual themes."

So, the program starts up ok, but it cannot communicate to it through the parallel port (it says it doesn't respond). Now I am running this program under my userame which is the administrator, but I am wondering if there is anything else in XP Pro I need to enable in order for this to work...

Thanks
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Hi,

I have come across this sort of thing before...........I am afraid that the device is not supported in XP. "Compatibility mode" is only for software , not devices.......and is pretty hit & miss

The best I can suggest is to google for a driver for the device, you might be able to get a third party one? Is the equipment manufacturer in business still? they might have the software.

Cheers

If for some reason, you can't get it to work... another option would be to dual boot XP with 98 or ME. If you have the free space...

I've had to do that because of older devices that the manufacturers have gone out of business and no third party came up with drivers for the newer operating systems for those specific devices.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You will probably find that the Parrallel port mode is incorrct..This is not a Windows Setting.

this will require you going into the motherboard BIOS and normaly in the Chipset Settings (depends on the Mobo) there is a setting for Parrallel port mode.. normaly this is best in EPP mode, but sometimes EPP + ECP will work..

Trust this helps..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    If for some reason, you can't get it to work... another option would be to dual boot XP with 98 or ME. If you have the free space...
    I thought of that too...but do they still sell Windows 98? If so, where?

-The Sawshank Redemption

Try the small ads in your local computer magazines (local = USA ) or ask at you neigbouhood computer store. You might even get a second hand copy.

phish~ is right....people still want it to run old games and devices. I would recommend 98se, as I have had compatibility issues getting 98 to load on some hardware.

I am afraid that you have a problem though, as I suspect that XP will want the 9x OS to be loaded first? I know that NT4 and W2K do. I have never tried to dual boot an XP device, but some sort of third party partition management tool might let you do it the other way round?

Good luck

EDIT: If und3rtak3r's suggestion does not work you might try:

http://www.gameshark.com/productinfo/Drivers.html

get the WIN2K drivers, they sometimes work as XP is NT/W2K based?

Originally posted here by yanksfan
    I thought of that too...but do they still sell Windows 98? If so, where?
    You can probably find it on eBay - I know someone who picked up a copy for £48 (~$90) recently.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Hey yanksfan .. howz it goin?

hasany of the replies helped?

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Well...they helped as much as they could.

It seems the only thing I can do is to buy Windows 98 off of ebay and dual boot...

Thanks everyone

-The Sawshank Redemption