Thread: Mandrake 9.2 n00b install

Smile Mandrake 9.2 n00b install

I'm new to using linux, but am very interested in using it. i completed the installation process with the Mandrake CD's and let the computer reboot. when the login dialog appeared...i tried the username and password i thought i had set up. the user was never created. after that i tried to login as root...that worked, but after the login dialog disspears, the screen turns red (i was told this was normal) but the computer does nothing after this. I restarted into failsafe mode, and by using the command prompt, along with some directions i found online, i believe i added a user...but when i tried to normally log on as that user, it didnt work. Any idea's why i cant logon, or any ideas to fix this problem...anything will help Thanks
    [gloworange]Antyx[/gloworange] .. formerly lupdawg

My best recommendation is to check out the official Mandrake website for the support page, and their online forums. It isn't that I don't want to help, just that I don't know mandrake enough to be of any service to you.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Or visit http://www.linuxquestions.org and go to the distro section for Mandrake. One way to check if a user has been added is to log in as root and type more /etc/passwd. You should see the user there. If it is, reset the user's password using passwd <username>. Could be "fat finger" syndrome (I get it all the time).

Is there any specific errors you get when you try to log in?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

there isnt a specific error...the login screen just shakes back and forth...but i am currently re-installing everything.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Shakes back and forth? Sounds like the video resolution wasn't set right. Next time, don't re-install right away. The more detail you give the more we can help. In this case, you could have used XF86config to reconfigure monitor/video settings.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

the screen shook back and forth as if the user name and password were incorrect...i was a little unclear with that. i also found out during a reinstall that the cd drive is bad, and is being replaced later tonight. we'll see where things stand after that. Thank you for your help by the way.

Originally posted here by lupdawg
    there isnt a specific error...the login screen just shakes back and forth...but i am currently re-installing everything.
    What kind of video card do you have?
    Before you finished the installation, did you configure the video card (and use XFree 4.3)
    You might need newer video drivers too. It might take having to burn off the drivers, get into a linux command prompt, and install them manually with no GUI.

I'm running Mandrake 9.2 using a nVidia Geforce FX 5600 256 MB DDR card. I had no graphical problems. I just needed newer drivers to make Linux run smoother. I found that the newest drivers would lock my system up in Linux every now and then. So, I installed the drivers from Dec. 2003 and haven't had a problem yet!