Thread: Profanity, partner's name hidden in leaked Microsoft code

Profanity, partner's name hidden in leaked Microsoft code

Eager to get their hands on Microsoft's secrets, a frenzy of Internet file sharing followed the leak of source code for the popular Windows NT and Windows 2000 software

to read more about it
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech...rce/index.html

Saw that this morning...goody all it takes is for somebody to name a worm microsoft_source_code.zip and all the wannabees get infected again.

I liked this article from the FT

Hackers delight as microsoft code is released

One of my favourite quotes:

Those examining the code were amused by the plain-text profanities included by its programmers in the computer-language files they had created. There was also evidence of some sloppy habits in comments such as: "potentially off-by-1, but who cares".

Keep in mind that we can not preassume those are plugged in by actual MS coders. Who is to say they were not jokes of those who took the origonal code and sexed it up as a joke?

I tend to agree with you. IMHO it's a disasterous thing for Microsoft PR, but I'm not too concerned until I start reading something substantial.

I mean, how in the heck, out of all those millions of lines of code did anybody find these juicy little tidbits so soon? It takes our developers at least half a day to find out where their code went wrong...and they wrote it!

they've had this code since the end of 2000. four years, thats enough time to port it linux if they wanted to.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-247716.html?legacy=cnet

i thought it was only a year and a half to two years...boy times fun when your having flys!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I am sure someone out there has already done it or is currently doing it. but they haven't told alot of people about it

BANNED
    On the profanity note im sure some kids downloaded it and the first thing the did was hit the find button and typed in dirtys words.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Microsoft programmers..........hmmm........

I have mentioned this before, but has anyone wondered why Office 97's Excel module is so bloated?

It is because there is a "hidden" flight simulator in it! So they DO play little games behind Bill's back!!!

I have been reviewing source code since the early 1980's and it can be a source (pun intended!) of great amusement. One of the best I saw (courtesy of Big Blue) was:

"And this does ABC to XYZ...............I think"

Programming is rather tedious and boring in large organisations with rigid standards and procedures. Junior programmers are treated little better than copy typists.......I do not wonder that they give vent to their frustrations?

Cheers

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    On another note I did come across this which sheds some interesting light into the code itself and the comments of the code. The conclusions by the author are interesting:

The security risks from this code appear to be low. Microsoft do appear to be checking for buffer overruns in the obvious places. The amount of networking code here is small enough for Microsoft to easily check for any vulnerabilities that might be revealed: it's the big applications that pose more of a risk. This code is also nearly four years old: any obvious problems should be patched by now.

Microsoft's fears that this code will be pirated by its competitors also seem largely unfounded. With application code this would be a risk, but it's hard to see Microsoft's operating system competitors taking advantage of it. Neither Apple nor Linux are in a much of position to steal code and get away with it, even if it was useful to them.

In short, there is nothing really surprising in this leak. Microsoft does not steal open-source code. Their older code is flaky, their modern code excellent. Their programmers are skilled and enthusiastic. Problems are generally due to a trade-off of current quality against vast hardware, software and backward compatibility.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

witch reminds me, that would explain why none of the programes i make work properly..
    I keep forgetting to insert the rude words..

cheers
    ..::front2back::..