Thread: Reporting Cybercrime

Smile Reporting Cybercrime

Hi,

I am sure that some of you will have seen me suggest reporting being hacked to the Authorities. I have generally made this suggestion to Americans, if only because your guys seem to take it at least half seriously. In fact the FBI are to be complimented in their efforts in providing information to
    European police forces and helping us bust paedophiles.

OK I do not mean silly little skiddie pranks, I mean if your machine might have been used by the hijacker to commit a crime elsewhere.

Some of you may think " it is OK for that limey, they won't come and impound his computers, and they can't touch him over there"

Here is an article..........OK a bit dated, but still supposedly true?

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...le.php/1365731

What the Law Enforcement Agencies are saying is that they won't victimise victims..........it makes sense.........if they did then no crimes would get reported?

As for the second part, I recently learned "from reliable sources" that David "the traitor" Blunkett
    and Tony "it wasn't me it was the cat wot done it" Blair, have come to an arrangement such that UK citizens can be extradited from the UK to the US without even getting a chance to appeal in court. I wonder if that arrangement is reciprocal?

So do give it a thought, if your machine might have been used, I would be inclined to report it, otherwise you will be left with having to prove your innocence.........I happen to consider that impounding machines to be tantamount to arresting the individual?

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    No appeal? I just don't think that's fair. If such an agreement were in place, what validity would it really have. Extradition without an appealate process would equal the government ignoring one's civil and legal right to prove one's innocence. Also, without a reciprocity agreement, how could such an agreement be justified. I agree that those that commit these crimes shoud be punished regardless of where they reside, just not at the expense of one's right to a fair and impartial legal process to determine guilt or innocence.

If this agreement does exsist, Nihil, you might want to hide your tom......I think the feds are comming for him!
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

Hi 576869746568617

It is not quite as bleak as I painted it, I assume (hope ) that the US Authorities would have to satisfy the UK authorities that there was a case to answer in the US, rather than here. If we could prosecute we would do so first...........then deport the little scroat ..........I would point out that there are several "UK Citizens" taking a vacation in guano bay ( ) and our government aren't saying anything about it..................maybe if you guys sent their drinks bill???

I also believe that the charges would have to be:

a) Criminal
    b) Substantial
    c) Not prosecutable in the UK

I don't think that failing to pay your American ex-wife's alimony would count?...........our courts would deal with that on her behalf.

I also believe that we consider American justice to be just.............so an appeal would merely be "stalling"

My man is OK........I created a hidden account "Pussy Galore" and installed sub7, so there is reasonable doubt....and I have legal precedence on that one

Cheers

Re: Reporting Cybercrime

Originally posted here by nihil
    As for the second part, I recently learned "from reliable sources" that David "the traitor" Blunkett
    and Tony "it wasn't me it was the cat wot done it" Blair, have come to an arrangement such that UK citizens can be extradited from the UK to the US without even getting a chance to appeal in court.
    Well either way your getting a free trip to the states
    But in all seriousness though, if you get 0wned or r00ted how ever you wanna state it you got the choice, ignore it hope the Attacker goes away, or Report it and save yourself from getting blammed for something that you didn't do..
    Even if you get portscanned it's still smart to write it down record the logs and send 'em to the proper Authority's, that way you know your safe just in case something happens, like your Box gets used as a Zombie to Ddos a server or something..

cheers
    ..::front2back::..

nihil may have been joking, but a lot of this type of legislation is coming into force.

Look at this fairly old report for instance, which at the moment just covers Europe: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2558129.stm

Quote "The European arrest warrant will allow British citizens to be extradited for crimes - some of them vague and undefined - that are not crimes in the UK. ....
    There would be only limited extradition hearings in UK courts ......
    The plans would mean that for 32 'serious offences', including terrorism, suspects could be handed to other countries even if their crime was not an offence in the UK."

So given Blunkett's desire to implement a police state, don't assume this won't happen.

Edit: To get back to the point, this warrant includes "Computer-related crime", whatever that may mean.