Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passion

Question Passion

So....I haven't posted anything in like 3 months but I've been around.... Since I haven't seen anybody else bring this up: I was wondering what people think about Mel Gibson and this new movie coming out in a couple of weeks called "The Passion of Christ" (most people 'round here shorten it to just "Passion"). I just watched an interview between Mel Gibson and Diane Sawyer on 20/20 and for once they didn't make all of Christianity look like complete idiots. Mel Gibson produced it so they couldn't screw him over with some obscure thing he said, which I thought was brilliant on his part. It also didn't hurt that he actually knew what he was talking about and doesn't have any prejudice issues or some crap that they usually use to crucify (no pun intended) whatever Christian they're putting on TV. After seeing that, I'm actually excited about the movie coming out. What does everyone else think/know about all this?

I have only heard a little bit from some Jewish friends and a little bit on NPR. From what my Jewsish friends have said, it sounds like the movie is very anti-semantic (sp?), but its probably coming from a biased point of view. I am interested enough to go see it, and he has done a decent job of rousing enough people on a sore subject to go see his movie. I will probably go just so I can form an opinion on the movie.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Ya, I think anyone with any interest should at least go so they can have their own opinion about it. From what I've heard and seen, I don't think it's anti-semitic. The Jewish people that I've heard from are just pissed that it depicts the Jews as being responsible for the death of Jesus. A lot of Christians would say since Jesus is God and he died so we could be forgiven of our sins, all Christians are just as responsible.... When you think about it, there were only two people groups in that area. One were the (usual) Romans and they certainly weren't afraid to do cruel and terrible things and the other is the Jews. According to history (outside the Bible), it was Roman centurians that actually committed the physical act of crucifying him and according to the writings of Pontius Pilate (the Roman governor of that region at the time), he saw no reason to crucify Jesus but the Jews were adamant about it so Pilate consented and had him flogged and crucified to pacify the Jews. At the time, the Jews were pissed b/c Jesus claimed to be God in the flesh and they believed he was speaking heresy. I really need to see the movie before I can say for sure that it's not anti-semitic but if people say it's anti-semitic just because it portrays the Jews for being responsible for Jesus's death, then isn't it just telling the truth?

I think Jesus is fascinating and I have tremendous respect for Mel Gibson. I will be seeing it on opening night and I don’t go to the cinema that often. The Pope and several Cardinals saw it months ago. They all liked it, so I think its place as an art form, a historical reference, and a biblical reference could make it a fantastic experience. I think the fact that Mel made it, has something to do with the lack of a Christian backlash by Hollywood and the media. Mel is da man. He must have his own passion for history and religion. Look at a sampling of his last major films: Brave Heart, The Patriot, Signs etc.

It is our sins that caused his death. Not just any particular group. So I still can't see why people would say that it's anti-sematic ???

"Gibson made a point of noting that he is not blaming the Jews for the crucifixion. Rather, all humanity and each individual shares the blame for what Jesus went through on our behalf."

That's my 2 cents .....
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I will definitely be going to see this. I'm getting really sick of the media demonizing Mel over this. It seems to be coming from two sides. Those who believe it's Anti-semitic(though most who've seen it say it isn't) and those who don't want Jesus story told. To the first group, well, since I haven't seen it there's not much response other than to say high level Jewish clergy were involved in having him crucified. Our incessant need to be politically correct doesn't justify revising history. As for if it's specifically anti-Jewish, I'll have to see it for myself. As for the second group, I'm guessing these are the same people who complain that their free speech rights are being trounced by the state department. Essentially, we believe in free speech as long as it fits in with our secular vision of America. It makes me laugh that these people want it both ways. Anyway, it's Mel's $30 million and he can spend it how he wants since this is America. I for one respect a guy who believes in something so much that he's willing to put his balls on the chopping block. I certainly don't share his conservative religious vigor, but I can appreciate his courage.

Anyway, I think it's going to be interesting whether you're seeing this as a religious person, a historian, or as someone who simply appreciates Jesus' true message of tolerance and forgiveness. I'm not speaking of the various churches who sometimes use his name to spread intolerance. His life and the strict code often perpetuated by various church groups are very different.

Taken from IMDB.com...

When this Latin and Aramaic language film was announced, Mel Gibson stated that his intent was to release it without subtitles, letting the performances speak for themselves. However, if it is necessary, subtitles would be added later. Also, he stated that regardless of the cost of the project, that this would be "good for the soul".
    At several small private screenings for a select group of clerics, subtitles were added, which Gibson intends to remove from the finished version when it is released.
    The figure of Christ during the crucifixion is actually James Caviezel, despite popular rumors - no animatronics were used.
    It's Mel Gibson's hands that nail Christ to the cross during the Crucifixion scene. Gibson decided this because he didn't want any further conspiracy about who was blamed for killing Jesus.
    Video games do not effect kids... if Pacman effected us as kids we\'d all be running around in a darkened room muching on magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

Got tickets for opening night. I am very excited about seeing it. A can't believe that Christians are so divided over this movie and that the Jewish community and the anti defamation league are so sensitive. These events happened 2 thousand years ago. It's no secret, what's the big issue? Who will blame anyone for that? He chose to die; he chose to suffer, without the events as they happened what would have become of Jesus? He chose to die for us? Am I right? But he didn't die, did he? No one killed anyone; didn't I learn that Jesus was resurrected?

Technically Jesus resurrected *himself*....and yes he did choose to die for us tho I get the impression from Scripture that he would've chosen a different *way* to die (he wasn't exactly happy about being flogged and then crucified). As for the other questions, I don't know. There shouldn't be any big issue over the movie, but there is. I'm told that the movie only deals with Jesus' last couple of days leading up to the crucifixion (the worst days of his life....probly of anyone's life) anyway and only *hints* at the resurrection. The movie only tells a very small (though critical) portion of the story.

Hmm I made it sound like he went tap dancing his way to the crucifixion. That is not what I meant, in fact I am no scholar of the bible, but Jesus was a man. He suffered extreme brutality by our standards and he was probably immensely scared. Hmm, in fact it is that violence that may be some of the negativity Christians have with it, even while they display macabre symbols of Jesus physically nailed to a cross in their churches. Perhaps it's the violence at which he dies and the suffering he endured that makes him loved so much? From what I understand this movie portrays those event's with a vivid reality.

Its been a long time since I looked at my bible so I will try to get this right. If we are to belive the bible then Jesus was executed under the Roman empire. The governor of the time give the choice to the hebrew high clergy to save him. They demanded death. It so happened that at the time death by crucifixion was the norm for the crimes of which he was accused. I have not seen the film yet so I can not say truely if it may be taken as anti-jewish or not. There is not much anyone can say about the act itself, it happened. The only thing the jewish community may complain about is if the film goes out of its way to blacken them. I have problems thinking Mel Gibson would do that. I will reserve my final judgement till after I have seen the film and know what I am talking about.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)