Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Passion

I'd go see the movie if it wasn't rated R. I don't think it should take a movie to portray Christ's death. Any movie produced can't come anywhere near what it was really like. If Christ died for all of our sins, then that's bad. Every persons sins accumulate to a lot of pain. It says in the Bible that Christ was bleeding from every pore. He must have been bleeding pretty bad just for us. And that's an understatement.

It doesn't take a movie to portray his death, there have been dozens of those already. From what I gather Mel had a tough time in his life, he was suicidal etc... and he found some sort of "relief" in Christ. In fact this relationship grew to a passionate one? I had no idea Mel felt this way, but it's what I am reading. Anyway, he wanted to express some of his own presonal feelings in a story, after all he is a great actor and an excellent producer/director - that is what he does. So he wanted to make a movie and not many shared his vision so he forked up some money and made it anyway.

I don't understand why there is all of this discussion about whether or not the film is anti-semetic. If Gibson sticks to the facts laid out in the Bible then the anti-semetic argument is moot at best. Way Back in the day..... Jewish leaders condemed Jesus to death, and the Roman government performed the execution, it's pretty clear cut. Jesus died for all of us and I do not know of any Christian that blames the Jewish people for killing Jesus, however these same Christians will agree that the Jewish leaders at the time were responsible for his demise. There is a fine distinction between casting blame for an action and understanding what individuals are responsible for an action. It's summed in the concept of Hate the sin, but Love the sinner. Christians should not place any blame for the death of Jesus, because if Jesus had not died on the cross then God's prophecies would not have been fullfilled and our existance woul be one without the hope of salvation and eternal life. IMHO
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

There are alot of differing opinions out there. Just like any book or movie or piece of art, the critic will see what he desires or perhaps take away his own interpretation based on something internal. Here is my critic of this movie, and from my other posts around AO one could get a general idea of my thoughts. The buzz in America is rampant so I'll be precise:

Incredibly Amazing Experience.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    There are alot of differing opinions out there. Just like any book or movie or piece of art, the critic will see what he desires or perhaps take away his own interpretation based on something internal. Here is my critic of this movie, and from my other posts around AO one could get a general idea of my thoughts. The buzz in America is rampant so I'll be precise:

Incredibly Amazing Experience.
    I also think that if you go into the movie thinking one thing or another (such as this movie is going to be anti semetic), you will probably try to find things in the movie that conform to your point of view. I will be seeing it in the next couple of weeks, because I have been reading a bit into it and it sounds like a historically accurate movie.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

There is a reason why the blood depicted in “The Passion” is so “controversial.” According to the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John (the main eyewitness accounts we have to the crucifixion and the inspiration for Gibson’s script), the blood of Jesus Christ was shed for the atonement of sin – the individual sin of us all – and that is what the media elites cannot stand about this film. As long as cinematic depictions of Jesus are restricted to images of a peaceful teacher standing on a hillside preaching the Sermon on the Mount, the story is no threat to their secular worldview. And as long as the story of his death is a sanitized version of the truth, wherein an innocent man utters a few words and then falls asleep on the cross, like some sort of first century lethal injection, then there is no outrage.

But when the public is allowed to see the full measure of God’s wrath poured out upon His own Son as the price to redeem fallen humanity, the story becomes “controversial.” At that point, the notion that human beings are basically good is threatened, as is all the other secular nonsense about man’s autonomy.
    http://mensnewsdaily.com/archive/p/p...tton022804.htm
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

When you have a Beer, you don’t knock on people’s doors trying to give it away.
    You just haven't gotten drunk enough
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    Guess not Lol.. Maybe if there's a BBQ and my parents aren't there, eh.

-Cheers-

I saw the movie yesterday....and whoever said that a movie cannot come close to what it was really like was wrong. I can't describe it... I guess "shocking" is the best word but not just "holy crap that's horrible" but it sent my system into shock....I was emotionally, mentally, and even *physically* shaken (shocked). Now I understand how some people could think it was anti-Semitic. The high priest of the Jews was particularly cruel. The Romans were equally if not more cruel as they actually tortured him but the Jews were demanding it....and even though that's how it actually happened, it's no wonder the Jews are afraid it will make people angry at them. One thing is for sure: I'll never be able to take communion the same way again...