Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Passion

Banned
    I have seen a nice "free" version. Lots of blood. My opinion of religion has reached a new low. No religion, at least 90% of the worlds problems disappear. All the people killed in the name of a Christian based god completely contradict the point of the religion. I am specifying Christian based because not all religions gods are portrayed as kind, or benevolent. Killing in the name of a Christian based god is hypocracy, there is no way around it. Killing people because of a book that you do not even know who wrote it; stories that people made up, why?

-Cheers-

God or no god, Jesus is real. Hisotrically he walked the earth and was put to death. Outside of religion there is historical context that even the Prophet Mohamad has commented on. Even without Jehova or Ali, human history may have been just as violent. Many conquests were not made with only God in mind, they were made for the power or one or a few individuals. Although I do agree with you, Chirstian abuses in the name of their faith is inexusable. While one may see this movie as testimate to the inhumanity of religion, I see it as a vivid reminder of the true word of Jesus.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

The movie is brutal, disgusting..it had me holding on to my chair for 2 hours, grinding my teeth and cursing the hell out of jews and romans. I never saw so much blood and slaughter in a movie altogether...was that really necessary?
    My question is, what kind of a message was Gibson trying to portray? That jesus was sacrificed to save humanity from their sins? Doesn't make sense to me. A God that's just and good will brutally allow one to be sacrificed in order to save the entire humanity? nah, don't make sense either.

What happened in the movie was common place, in ancient history. This particular story is about WHO it happened to and why.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Banned
    I know they were real figures, but some of the stuff is stories or highly exagerated and altered.

-Cheers-

Yes they could be, but faith comes into play in believing that Jesus was the Messiah - the one who was promised to the Jews, the true King and the son of god. If you ignore that, Jesus is a man of love and respect. Those images cast onto the screen are eye witness accounts of his ordeal. He took one for the team, to use an analogy for today. In his eyes, mankind and humanity are the team.
    West of House

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by amnesiac
    The movie is brutal, disgusting..it had me holding on to my chair for 2 hours, grinding my teeth and cursing the hell out of jews and romans. I never saw so much blood and slaughter in a movie altogether...was that really necessary?
    My question is, what kind of a message was Gibson trying to portray? That jesus was sacrificed to save humanity from their sins? Doesn't make sense to me. A God that's just and good will brutally allow one to be sacrificed in order to save the entire humanity? nah, don't make sense either.

Hmmmm... one life to save billions. Makes perfect sense to me. To quote Kirk and Spock (I don't recall anyone bitching about this one) "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few....or the one."

As for the blood and slaughter, well, facts are facts. Gibson gave us an accurate portrayal (according to the experts) of the death of Jesus, a view that NEEDED to be shown. To see someone suffer in that manner and to know that he did it for you SHOULD evoke an emotional response....which it was meant to do.

Why curse the Romans and the Jews? They were doing exactly what God had ordained them to do as they had no choice in the matter....Jesus was meant to die for the sins of humanity. Deal with it.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Why is it that when people such as Mel Gibson who try to portray the truth get ridiculed for trying to show what Christ went through to die for all of our sins ? But when a movie such as Kill Bill which :

The movie begins with "the Bride," a.k.a. Black Mamba, getting a shot in the head. She tells "Bill," -- the ring leader of the group called DIVAS (Deadly Viper Assassination Squad) -- that she is pregnant with his child, but he shoots her nonetheless.
    Producers such as this receive great praise ?? Seriously there's gotta be something wrong with society if this is deemed as great ??

A God that's just and good will brutally allow one to be sacrificed in order to save the entire humanity? nah, don't make sense either.
    Read this link below :
    The Life

Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Banned
    Yes they could be, but faith comes into play in believing that Jesus was the Messiah - the one who was promised to the Jews, the true King and the son of god. If you ignore that, Jesus is a man of love and respect. Those images cast onto the screen are eye witness accounts of his ordeal. He took one for the team, to use an analogy for today. In his eyes, mankind and humanity are the team.
    I am not sure if you got this or not, but I am athiest... There is no God, Son, or Holy Ghost type of thing.

DIVAS (Deadly Viper Assassination Squad)
    I have not seen the movie, but it is not worth seeing. The critics today are completely useless. It's like everything is good and a couple of pretty good movies are bad. They lost what little credability they had. And by using the word DIVAS as an acroynym(sp) they have destroyed all "scary-ness" they have by claiming they are elite with a possy as name like that. Come on. Uh-oh, the DIVAS are coming..
    As for the blood and slaughter, well, facts are facts. Gibson gave us an accurate portrayal (according to the experts) of the death of Jesus, a view that NEEDED to be shown. To see someone suffer in that manner and to know that he did it for you SHOULD evoke an emotional response....which it was meant to do.

Why curse the Romans and the Jews? They were doing exactly what God had ordained them to do as they had no choice in the matter....Jesus was meant to die for the sins of humanity. Deal with it.
    I disagree allenb1963. It does not need to be shown, I believe you can pick up the Bible and read about it whenever you wish. There is even a Bible in my house that I could read. By emotional response you mean gag reflex(not really)? The point was to show that he was killed in a most cruel way, which he was. Humans have I think about 13 gallons of blood in them and that appeared to be just a bit more than that. Why curse the Romans and the Jews? First off I know lots of people (namely of a Christian based faith) using Jew as an insult. So if there is a God and it did ordain them, its followers should still be forgiving them. I however think that it just happened out of greed of power. Kill one, or be destroyed. In conclusion, I feel religion is just a crutch people use for one reason or another. Oh, I am half Jewish (so you can bash now).

-Cheers-

I believe you can pick up the Bible and read about it whenever you wish.
    I've read it many times and it never hit me like the movie. Whether you realize it or not, this movie was not made for anyone but Christians and originally wasn't even going to have *subtitles*!! It was made to wake Christians up. We take sin too lightly and Gibson was reminding us of the price Jesus paid for it. It doesn't matter if you believe that, but that's why the movie was created *and* that's why it is so brutal.
    Humans have I think about 13 gallons of blood in them and that appeared to be just a bit more than that.
    I dunno....the wounds from the beatings seemed to clot really fast and I'm told that's what they would've done in reality.
    I however think that it just happened out of greed of power. Kill one, or be destroyed.
    That was supposed to have been made obvious in the movie.... The Sanhedrin (Jewish big guys) lost its following to Jesus and all of a sudden they have lost some of their power and felt threatened....so they had him killed. That was *their* motivation for killing him, but it's not the real reason for why he died. It does however explain why he was killed in such a brutal way. He was meant to serve as an example (they didn't want anybody else taking their power from them).
    I feel religion is just a crutch people use for one reason or another.
    Hah! Hell of a crutch when you're persecuted all the time for what you believe. By attacking Christian beliefs, you've disproven your own point. How can it be a crutch when we're attacked all the time for what we believe?