Thread: Network Design and Organizational Structure

Network Design and Organizational Structure

I've been writing a paper on how organizational structure can affect network design. It got me thinking - what about the other way around? Can a network greatly influence the organizational structure for its organization?

A good network will increase information flow and hopefully simplify communication between its users. Perhaps this could change the needs of meetings and such...but what about on a larger level?

Any ideas? I posted this on another board and got a good response. I'd just like to know others' takes on this subject.

Thanks!
    -Deanna

edit: BTW, I've been lurking for over a year now, but I just thought I'd contribute

AO French Antique News Whore
    What do you mean by organizational structure can affect network design? Should the President be connect on the main router of the network?

Network design for me = Good Design, data flow between computer (Not users directly) is fast. I build my network with users who need bandwitch on the network first (Server, Enginer working with AutoDesk, Database Users) then other people.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Hi MissMetal and welcome to AO,

Here are the drunken drivellings of a boring old English fart:

I am assuming that the environment is a democratic G8/OECD market driven capitalist economy (supply & demand basically). I think that it is important that you define the environment early on in your paper?

In the rich boys world "he who pays the piper calls the tune" so in a big corporation, the structure dictates the communications environment, which in turn dictates the network design?
    At lower levels in the structure, you are dictated to by the environment, and you go where you are told/is efficient. On the other hand, just try saying "can't" to the CEO

I now have to be very careful what I say

If we are looking at Government and Military installations, you have a constant throughput of personnel, so the infrastructure is more permanent than the staff? In this situation the infrastructure dictates the organisational structure in so far as it dictates who can be located where. An analogy might be that "the foot has to fit the shoe, rather than the shoe fitting the foot"?

Just a couple of thoughts?