Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Desktop Connection (WIN2K)

Remote Desktop Connection (WIN2K)

Hi guys,
    I have a small network consisting of four machines. three are running windows xp and one is running 2000, all of which have internet access and all run throw a router (Draytek 2900G). All four of my machines have remote desktop installed and all can access each other accept for the 2K machine. Now the 2K machine can access all the other machines but will not allow incoming connections.

Also i have Ultra VNC install on all my machines and again the 2K machine is the only one that is giving trouble, although i can connect to it throw Ultra VNC i dont get a mouse pointer.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening and how can i fix it.

Cheers guys

Misterxtreme,

If im correct I think that you can connect from the windows 2000 machine to the xp machine with the remote desktop snap in from microsoft. But that does not give you the technologies needed to go from the xp machine into the 2000 box.

VNC might be a better solotion for remote desktop in the case of going from xp pro to the windows 2000 desktop.

Any confirm this as true??

Thanks!!!
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

Windows 2000 Professional (i.e. workstation) does not have terminal services built in, so you cannot remote TO that box with the rdp client. XP, 2000 Server, and 2003 Server have terminal services built in which is why your scenario works in the other direction.

VNC is a decent alternative and should work fine. As for why the mouse doesn't show up, make sure that the the 'Disable remote keyboard and pointer' and 'Disable local keyboard and pointer' boxes are unchecked. I'm looking at TightVNC, so the settings may be different.

If you have a fancy video card, I've seen hardware mouse cursors have the occasional problem with remote control software. Check if there is an updated video driver for your card on the 2k box.

Remotely Anywhere (3AM Labs) is another very good remote client, but it isn't free.

Yeah but with VNC client i do not get a mouse pointer and i have done remote desktop with Win2K server many times.

It does sound like an OS issue. Question -- Did you use your W2K cd when configuring your network so that XP machines would communicate with the W2K machine properly? You should have been prompted to do that when you were configuring the W2K machine for a local network.

I dont unerstand what you mean please explain, I configured all the machine during windows setup.

Hey, Hey

No mouse in VNC... That's definately an interesting one.

I was curiuos so I ran a quick search on google and it returned a result. It seems this has happened to people before and some editing of the registry has to be done to fix it.

You have to browse to the VNC Registry Keys in HKEY\Local_Machine and HKEY\Current_User
    Make sure the Current_User values match the Local_Machine values.

I Have no idea if this will work, and I take no responsibility for any damage you do with regedit. The original post on this topic can be found here http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc...er/017982.html

Peace,

HT

this advice sounds logical to me "Making sure both keys were the same (since the viewer worked when the machine was logged in, using that key's values) fixed the problems on our end." So ill try it and let you know how it works out.

Cheers.

AO French Antique News Whore
    You can try this app also
    http://www.gensortium.com/products/gencontrol.html

Top of the Top for Domain Administrator
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Thanks for that SDK
    That program works a treat everyone should try it.