Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A challenge from my teacher.

A challenge from my teacher.

I would like to ask some help from you fellows. I'm a very big begginer
    but I would like to learn. So please teach me.

My cisco(CCNA) teacher challenged my class to hack into his laptop. The only
    info he gave us was the name of that laptop wich was LAP01.

I know a little bit so I gave it a try. Pingin the subnet(10.108.5.X) with angry
    ip scanner we where on I found no computer named LAP01. Then I simply
    pinged for the name. wich gave me only one reply after that all went dead.
    The ip was 10.108.5.11. Blindly trying stuff I used telnet on a number of ports
    but all were refused.

Wanting to know a little more I downloaded NMAP and scanned with that.
    Basic SYN stealth and everything else I used failed. My teacher informed me he
    had set up a firewall. And after some discussing with other students I basicly gave up.

But the challenge is still on. I would like to know if there is a way to get
    past that firewall. If there is please tell me how to figure it out and don't give me something like this: "Yust do ... and ... with the ... and your in."

Thanks in andvance.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Try reading sources of exploits or known default passwords and such. If this is a beginner class than the system will not be locked down. It has never in many of my beginner classes. It was always a known exploit or a default password we needed to use to get in. Did you try logging in as guest?

You can never do enough READING..

Sounds like a fun challange, but.....

Please read the postings and Welcome to Antionline tutorials. This is a community that is more deticated to the preservation of network security and not a place to learn to hack your teachers PC.

Sorry if that sounds blunt....but just giving you a heads up that you may receive more similar responses.

HAHA and the other question is this....why is you CISCO teacher asking you to hack his laptop???? Either hes confused on what hes teaching....or he may be demonstrating the use of ACCESS LISTS........on a serious note, he may be sitting behing a access list on another subnet...and that access list might be dropping packets such as your ICMP ping packets, as well as blocking telnet.

This is all hypothetical though, because we dont know if he is on a different subnet or not, and we need to know his LAPTOP operating system as well.....lots of variables come into play here.

Once again, dont mean to sound harsh, and welcome to AntiOnline, just want to get you started off on the right foot :-)

If you ever have a question feel free to ask.
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

Hi MoonWolf,

and don't give me something like this: "Yust do ... and ... with the ... and your in."
    You mean it is a bit like a math exam......................1 mark for the correct answer and 29 for showing how you worked it out?

Please tell me a bit more about the rules of the challenge...................are you allowed physical access to the machine..............obviously not to take it apart, or there wouldn't really be a challenge? What I am saying is does it have to be remote access only, or do you have access to the keyboard & mouse.....and can you use the floppy and CD drives?

ITG is onto something with the default passwords I think. You do not say what operating system you are using so I had better wait for your replies before I make a total idiot of myself?

Cheers

if it is a windows system, try using netbios:

net view LAP01 (if there are shares here, then you can use them to access a little piece of his hdd)

net use x: \\10.108.5.11\c$ /user:LAP01\administrator
    ( this one will work if the administrator pw is empty or <blank&gt

The password is: "challenge1". Well that was easy . Anyways, on a serious note, please follow what nihil told you. Do you have physical access to the machine? Let us know and we'll be able to help you out on that. Just thought it was worth pasting this one:

What AntiOnline IS:
    AO is a worldwide community of security, network and computer professionals, students and keen amateurs who come here to learn the principles and details of computer/network security.
    AO is a place where the community share their knowledge to help the others learn and where people assist each other with identifying and mitigating security issues as they pertain to the many real life situations faced by us all.

What AntiOnline is NOT:
    AO is not a place where the community's knowledge is used or passed on to others in order to carry out illegal or immoral acts.
    AO is not a place where you should be asking how to exploit/damage/attack any system that you do not own nor have the explicit permission of the legal owner.

What can you expect from AntiOnline:
    You can expect to be treated in the same way you treat the AO community.
    If you understand what AO is and is not, you can expect to be helped and to help others learn the art of computer/network security.

If you request information in a way that implies your intent is illegal or immoral you will receive a rapid response from the community that may ban you from continued participation.

Please feel free to look around but before you post a message please read the FAQ carefully. Many subjects have been covered on AO in it's years of operation and most of the discussions are still relevant today so please search before you ask.

Welcome again to AO and we hope your stay here is as fun for you as it is for our numerous members.

Gain access to all that AntiOnline has to offer:

- Access To Thousands Of Programs In Our Archives
    - Access To Thousands Of Security Related Text Files
    - Read And Post To All Major Security News Groups
    - Interact With Thousands Of Other Security-Minded Individuals
    - Customize AntiOnline To Suit Your Needs

Hope you get my point

Cheers,

I agree with Cybr1d

Hi guys,

Yes, you are absolutely correct about what "We" are all about...............and I admire the polite and restrained way in which you have expressed it.

However, I have a feeling about this one? What I see is a teacher trying to impress the class............HELL!!!...........that is guaranteed to get an "old trout" (steelhead) like me to rise to the bait ............done it enough with math teachers in my time.

He is asking to "cheat on his homework"...........well I guess I am a bit of a "cheat" at heart?

So long as it is not dangerous to the general public, and only lets him into the teacher's machine I am inclined to help.

Have I really been "socially engineered"?

I hope not

Cheers

Well ...I dont believe that the teacher told them they couldnt use outside sources. If he has to write a report, and quotes us...he might get extra credit.

Curiousity is blossoming! How far along in cisco are you?

You need to feed us some info for us to help you out and I don't think your teacher would be too upset for using all the resources available to you. Don't expect to be led through the whole process because you need to learn some this on your own. But maybe we can stimulate some thoughts.

Hopefully his challenge is class related, and at the risk of self-destruction, I would recommend that you focus on the different ways you can gain access to a router. Network, console port, and so forth, how would you do it, and what can you do once you get there? He nixed your telnet, but how about hyperterminal, tftp server, etc., you do have the IP and the Computer Name! I don't think he would slam the door on every port, and since you are on the same network, as simplistic as this may sound, you may even be able to walk right in with a browser.

So let us know.....

Good Luck