Thread: BeSt SerVeR

BeSt SerVeR

hi guys.. i'm actually to build up a server.. i mean the best server OS for WANs.... can anybody advice and give me some tips
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=213
    All be clear, All be fine, Knowledge is first

i actually need to know which best server OS should i use it for...

Hey Hey,

There's no such thing as a "best server OS". It depends on what you want the server to handle, what services you want to provide, what daemons you want to run. If you require an exchange server, you aren't going to set-up a FreeBSD box. If you are completely new to an OS you don't want to use it. Layout what your server needs to do, look at where your skills lay and combine the two and you'll find the ultimate OS for your server.

Peace,
    HT

PS
    Normally you would just click the edit button and edit your post, rather than posting again.

Linux will most likely have all the servers you may need, without the expensive licensing issues. That might be something to consider if you have a budget. Also, it's more secure and reliable than the windows platforms. For instance, there aren't many viruses/worms targeting the operating system right now. Might be something to look into.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

please elaborate your question...

do you want to know which server is best to use??
    keep these questions in mind while selecting a server.... what you want the server to mainly do?? and how much load the server is going to handle at a time (approx.)??
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

Originally posted here by PuReExcTacy
    Linux will most likely have all the servers you may need, without the expensive licensing issues. That might be something to consider if you have a budget. Also, it's more secure and reliable than the windows platforms. For instance, there aren't many viruses/worms targeting the operating system right now. Might be something to look into.

--PuRe
    Come on PuRe..... more secure and more reliable? You've been around long enough to know that that is completely untrue, it all depends on where is knowledge lies. I can show you some Windows boxes with fairly impressive uptimes as well, which proves that they are reliable. Before a specific recommendation can be made, I really think we need more information.

Peace,
    HT

Hi Pete, it's time to spend some time browsing the Operating Systems forum (those stickies are good). Good luck finding your "best OS" !

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

thanx everybody...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=254589

Please read that Pete, it should answer your question perfectly.