Thread: Microsoft Code Leak Invokes Issues Beyond Security

Banned

Microsoft Code Leak Invokes Issues Beyond Security

While the leak was limited to incomplete portions of the Windows 2000 and NT source code, Gartner research vice president Richard Stiennon told TechNewsWorld that the code is more than enough to enable attackers to punch holes in other Windows systems. "It's sad that [the source code] was released, and it's sad it was written so [badly] from a security standpoint ," he said.
    http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/32882.html

Banned
    By Jay Lyman
    TechNewsWorld
    February 17, 2004
    I guess it is supposed to be something new. I Myself didnt hear about the code leak and such.

sorry im taking the thread off topic. ive deleted my posts and will male a new thred on this topic.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    That's interesting. I'm hearing conflicting results in regards to how the code was written, security or otherwise. There's another site author who earlier this week commented on the code and said for the most part it was pretty good (although the comments were a little .. errr.. colourful?).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

As I understand it, this code is supposed to be mostly around 4 years old?

Makes one wonder what would happen if something more current and more core to the OSes escaped

I am assuming, of course, that it has not............remembering that M$ at first denied the "leak"?

Denied or perhaps was just ignorant of?

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Banned
    [QUOTE]
    Denied or perhaps was just ignorant of?
    [/QOUTE]

Maybe both. I am hearing coflicting statements as well MsM. Maybe people have different copies of the code, or are commenting on different sections; you never know. Also, maybe M$ did this on purpose to see what the public thought of the code and if they already have a new OS done/in the works it would not matter to much, but more as a (if people say it's well written), "Look, our security is great. You people need to learn how to set it up," type of thing.

-Cheers-

Con?

For all we know it could be a con to make it's os by getting people involved in finding faults it's going to make it one hell of alot more secure, it may be a way of tring to eliminate compotion like linux and other gnu free source companys, look at why there so secure, they never used to be.

O yeah they were planning on releasing the source code in india any way to eliminate compotion.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6726

And trusted employees have they still not relised people don't like them that much?
    Who am i to question your motive?