Thread: New Outlet for High-Speed Access

New Outlet for High-Speed Access

In a broadband world dominated by cable and DSL, the vision recently put forth by top U.S. telecom regulator Michael Powell of a high-speed Internet connection in every electrical outlet may seem a bit far-fetched

To read more about it
    http://www.wired.com/news/business/0...=wn_techhead_2

That would be pefect for me.

I live to far from a city to get DSL or Cable, so something utilizing the power lines would really make me happy. lol
    =

I heard about this awhile ago. I really was interested in the idea. However, I am not sure why it would still have to cost that much more.

I wonder if it would be possible to steal the connection much like you splice a cable line?

I am also wondering if your system would be compromised by someone splicing into the power lines?

Adiz

Sounds great to me . My dialup is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww..........

mjk

Dead Man Walking
    it brings to mind a few interesting questions. Would a power surge increase your connection speed? Another random thought on it would be that if you were to use this type of network in a home or business it would be more secure than any wireless. I havent read the full article so i may be missing the point but it does kinda make you think of the possibilities

I don't think a power surge would increase it but there is a risk of damaging the equipment unless you had a ups to stop the power spike(surge)
    And as fas as being more secure then a wireless connection I believe the computer would still be at risk but probably not as much as a wireless network would be because any computer connected to the internet is a target so securing the box will always be a thing to do.

Dead Man Walking
    i was refering to more as a wardriving standpoint than an individual box being hacked. You couldnt sit a in a business using this technology parking lot and gain acsess to thier network like u could with wireless