Thread: Yousing Knoppix

Regal Making Handler

Yousing Knoppix

Hi guys i recently download Knoppix and after a bit of research have got it running on my laptop. It looks a very interesting os and i would like to use it a bit more however i am having problems connecting to the internet.

I access the internet via a small home lan consisting 2 pcs and a router set up for dhcp. Now all the info i have managed to find so far concerns using PPPoE however my isp uses PPPoA and i have not been able to find any info for this.

So my question is can anyone give me any advice as to how or where i can find help with configeration.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Do you mean something like this :
    Configuring Linux

Just skim read through the article and you should find a section titled : 3.2.4. PPPoA

Hope that helps in one way or another. If not then I'm pretty sure that one of the other members who is more knowledgeable can suggest something else.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Regal Making Handler
    Thanks for that Agent.
    Still none the wiser though anyone el's shed some light?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

It is generally helpful if we knew what kind of modem you had in the first place? Knoppix has never failed me yet, but I have never used it with dialup. I have heard other members say it (linux) is notorious for not playing nicely with win-modems.

I have this machine that goes clunk-clunk-clunk. Can anybody shed some light?

Regal Making Handler
    Groovicus,

Modem is built into the router, it's a netgear DG834.

Sussed it, useing it right now. Didn't need to configer anything.