Thread: Which Red Hat Linux is the best?

Which Red Hat Linux is the best?

I need some help here. I wanna install Red Hat Linux but I don't know what version is the best. I mean I have to choose between Red Hat Linux 5.0, 7.0, or 9.0.
    Games and Computers

7.3 is a good one, 8 was too buggy, and I like 9 alot. Just rember, all versions up to and including 8 are no longer being supported. RH9 will not be supported some time in April. If you still want to try RH, then go with 9.

Hello............

Yes, Redhat 9 is no loger support after april. If you want to install only Redhat Linux , so you have to download Fedora Linux(Core1), this is a new version of Redhat (we can say).
    Eseay to download and install. Good luck!

Here you can get Fedora linux...

Just download yarrow-i386-disc1.iso, yarrow-i386-disc2.iso, yarrow-i386-disc3.iso and enjoy it.....

And here u can get all kinds of linux Slackware, Debain, Mandrake, Redhat etc.....
    Hello Dear..

Red Hat 9 is great in my opinion, I use it on most of my computers although I have tried Fedora as well. If you're not bothered about official support then it doesn't matter about the April cut-off because they will always be volunteers around to help you with any problems.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Are you sure you really want to use Redhat? I know for a fact that lots and lots of people don't like Redhat (including me). And there are good reasons too. If you want to install a Linux distribution that's easy to use, go with SuSe or Mandrake. A good tutorial to decide what to use was written a while back by gore. Here's the link:http://antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253721 . However, if you're really sure that you want to use Redhat, go with 9. 7.3 was good but it'll take a lot of updating to get it up2date (pun intended). 8 was crap. I have heard mixed reports about Fedora (I haven't used it myself), but that's the most recent version, so you might want to go for that.

<shameless plug> http://slackware.org </shameless plug>

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Dead Man Walking
    If you want to use multimedia i would avoid redhat 9. I dont know about other versions ... IE 8.0 7.3 etc etc but 9 has virtualy no multimedia support besides a standard audiop cd player. No mp3 no mpeg video nothing. I would suggest slackware. its not as intimidating to install as some make it out to be. My biggest problem with slack install was i put it on my laptop and my kids kept bouncing the table i had it sitting on causing the cdrom to skip. Locked the whole thing up. Aonther thing about redhat is that come april thier nice up2dat feature will b worthless because they wont be updating anything you have. if you really want to go with redhat i suggest try fedora

Thx

Thx for your help guys, it has been very useful
    Games and Computers

I think I'll install Fedora, SuSe, or Slackware instead. Or maybe all of them, lol
    Games and Computers