Thread: ATI Radeon 9600SE Problems

ATI Radeon 9600SE Problems

Hello all, a little help please.

Recently I purchased an ATI Radeon 9600SE AGP graphics card, which I installed and used for a while with no difficulty. Then, I performed a clean install of Windows XP, after which I installed Catalyst 3.10 drivers from the ATI site. Before, on the SMARTGART tab of the ATI section of the advanced display properties dialog, my card was reported as operating at AGP 8x. Now, AGP acceleration is reported as Off, and when I try to increase it back to 8x or even 4x it reverts back to Off on the restart. It is very possible that I am missing a driver or two, as the application recovery CDs would not recover drivers, or anything for that matter, therefore all my drivers are new from the web, and I might have missed one or two. No AGP Controller or anything like that is reported in the System Devices node of the Device Manager, so I might be missing something there. I've been looking at the intel site for AGP Controller drivers, but don't know what to download.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Did windows xp give you any warning about the drivers upon install. Maybe something like, warning these drivers have not been tested to work with xp ( not exact but its something like that ) if so, you may want to try using an older, tested version of there driver that operates with xp untill microsoft catches up. You can also try uninstalling the drivers altogether and reinstalling them and see if that helps. Most likely you did install all of the drivers but some components just are not working correctly with xp.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

This sounds like it could well be a problem with the AGP drivers that your mobo requires, which are different from the ATI video drivers themselves.
    I'd check the site for your mobo (rather than a generic Intel site) to ensure you have installed the right ones.

Given that you have re-installed WinXP, it is quite likely you have installed the wrong ones - the default WinXP drivers often don't work properly

Try this link for starters: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchipsetdrivers.html which has a list of links to most mobos.

Hi,

Does your MoBo have onboard graphics? you may need to disable this in the BIOS? Or activate the AGP option?

Does the 9600 show up under "display adapters" in the device manager? Does it have a problem, is there any other adapter showing?.............try searching for a better driver, and selecting the ATI drivers if this doesn't work.

If it goes pear-shaped you can always boot into safe/vga mode (F-8) and revert

cheers

I have received no warning from XP about my drivers, and I've tried re-installing with no success. My motherboard does have onboard graphics, but they are supposed to be disabled if the AGP slot is full, and I disabled it in the BIOS anyhow. The card does show up in the display adapters node, and appears to be working properly. I'm using ATI's drivers, but still haven't solved my problem. I suspect my problem does lie with the AGP drivers for my motherboard, so I'm going to try darkes' link.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Just to add to my previous post, I'm certain that in most cases you should see an AGP driver listed in the System Devices node of the Device Manager.

On this PC it shows up as 'SiS Accelerated Graphics Port' as it is running an SiS chip set.
    I did have to update the AGP driver to get my graphics card to work properly.

AO French Antique News Whore
    As a few peoples said, you need to update the drivers for your CHIPSET! You can usually find them on the web site of your manufacturer. Also, ATI release the version 4.* of their drivers that you might be interest in. Good Luck.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Yeah, my older PC had a SiS chip in it and it showed up in the System Devices node just like yours. However, this ATI does not, so I'm trying to find an AGP driver from AMIs site. Thanks for posting, darkes.