Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extra drive?

Angry extra drive?

ok so I've got a really strange problem that I've never heard of anyone else having run into before...I'm running windows XP home edition with 1 harddrvie and a CD-RW and I was installing a um...*cough* trial *cough* game but it installed itself as another E: drive, but I don't even really have an E: drive and can't seem to get it to uninstall, which really wasn't that big of a deal to me, then one of my friends gave me an mp3 player and can't seem to install it properly because windows sees the device as a portable drive, but this seems to be screwing it up...any ideas on this would be great...thx!
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Have you tried uninstalling the game That should delete the E: drive. if not you could use the restore function to set your computer back to a time before the game was installed that should solve the problem.

yes...well its almost like my pc sees it as being a cd drive and the game itself isn't actually installed on it...just the game data waiting to be installed, but like I said, I only actually have 2 drives and they work perfectly...thx again for any help
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"

I forgot to add that I thought about setting my computer back like that, but I always get really strange funky registry problems when I do that and end up having to format because of it, so that isn't really an option for me...
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]

AO French Antique News Whore
    You had a USB Key in your computer while installing the game? What took the E: drive when you install the games?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

a USB key? you mean one of those thumb drives? well when I installed it, there was no E: drive at all...I installed it from a .rar and its almost like it extracted all the installation data to E: along with installing the game itself on my hard drive...
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]

oh and I don't even have a thumb drive if that's what you meant by "USB key"
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]

AO French Antique News Whore
    If there was NO e: drive, programs coundn't unpack/install/copy file to drive e:

You sure you didn't have smartmedia card, sony disk stuff in your computer? Those numeric camera memory in your computer using the e: drive?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I don't own storage devices like that, but I do have a logitech webcamera that doubles as a digital camera and can store pictures on it, but it isn't installed as an E: drive and I'm sure that it couldn't be extracted/copied/installed to that seeing as how it can only store 80 pictures and/or 80 seconds of video and since this happened, it still is 80, so I really don't think it has anything to do with what happened
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]

Antionline Herpetologist
    OK, I think some kind of virtual CD software installed itself when you installed the game. Look for something out of place in Add/Remove Programs. Failing that, you're probably going to have to format, because some of these programs attach themselves to system files to fool windows into seeing the cd drive. This is used to run games that only run off a cd.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com