Thread: How to display a windows explorer frame within a web page?

How to display a windows explorer frame within a web page?

Greetings all,

I thought I'd ask the question here as I came across the subject item on a web search for 'security' related items a few months ago. I came across a 'security' site telling me that I needed to "learn what the hackers are doing so you can protect myself."

As an example of this 'education,' on the webpage was dispayed a frame that looked exactly like a windows explorer window with scroll bars, little folder-shaped directory icons, etc. and the files within this frame were the files present in my C:\ directory. I remember thinking it was pretty cool, but wrote it off to some client-side script - it wasn't actually allowing internet access to my C:\.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how the thing worked. What did they use to create the effect. Javascript? PHP? And of course, I have no idea where I found this site or what the URL might be.

So that's my question. How to display a frame that looks like a windows explorer window within a webpage.

I figure other security junkies may have come across this page, or at least a page that has something similar....

Thanks, I'm obsessing.

Futhermet

Alright I just want to start off by saying I could be 100% wrong on this one (feel free to correct me) but I am under the impression that it is something along the lines of somehow inbeding http://C: into the what ever... html etc. I couldnt tell you how to do it directly but hopefully this helps a little (providing this info is correct)
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

If I recall correctly,
    it's an iframe (inline frame) with file://c:\ as base url...

I think a little googleing should be able to provide you with all the answers . . .
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    What's the link Jinx where you can tell if you are open to the world?

http://<your hdd>:\ is that what that is?

-Cheers-

Thanks a bunch

Thanks a bunch:

in notepad enter:

-----cut here-----
    <IFRAME SRC="file://C:">

</IFRAME>
    -----cut here-----

and save as ....test.html and open it in IE.

Kinda cool. Guess I've slipped on the whole learning curve thing.

Thanks,
    Futher

Pretty cool. right to the point, easy to try and to understand, thanks
    Imagination is greater than intelligence when referring to intricate things, the reason why is that if you can\'t imagine how something works, how do you expect to understand it and therefore to know anything about it.

Imagination, Precious