Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Antivirus 2003

Norton Antivirus 2003

Does NAV 2003 include spyware defs after updating definitions (not upgrading!!)?
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

I do not believe that any major corperation, such as Norton would resort to allowing spyware to be loaded with their product.

[Edit]
    He means do the definitions detect spyware.
    Your right, Fatphantom. I miss read that completely.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I do not believe that any major corperation, such as Norton would resort to allowing spyware to be loaded with their product.
    He means do the definitions detect spyware.

prize-
    My NAV2003 defs couldnt detect spyware when I updated with the liveupdate program. But it was able to detect spyware when I got my definitions from the intelligent update-

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...fa.html#iudefs

If you want to be sure, go to your virus encyclopedia and search for spyware names (like gator)

Still - you should use ad-aware/search and destroy with your NAV.. Just in case Im wrong (it was 4 months since I used NAV) or your NAV misses something.

Do Symantec antivirus products detect Jokes, Adware, or Spyware?

Norton seems to classify that as " Expended Threats " so it seems like they might detect some. But I would still recommend downloading Ad-aware since Norton antivirus is more geared towards viruses , trojans and worms .
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

what's the difference between the intelligent updater defs, live update defs, and beta defs.

what's the difference between the intelligent updater defs, live update defs, and beta defs.
    Live update is automtic updates - its set to update your defs on wed and "danger" times (set for home users)

Intelligent updater defs are out every "buisnuess days" (everyday except for sunday & holidays) (meant for buisness/corporate users, but anyone can use it)

Beta defs - not sure what they are, but I think there defs of what they deciphered of the next virus update so far.

Actually from reading this article [Norton AntiVirus 2004] NAV 2004 does include :

NAV 2004's second new feature is the ability to detect and destroy spyware, adware and hacking tools that may be lurking on your hard drive. NAV 2004 is the first anti-virus application to include this feature. However, the free standalone utilities, such as Lavasoft's Ad-aware and PepiMKā€™s Spybot Search & Destroy, ferret out these same annoyances much better. For example, in our tests, NAV 2004 failed to find a malware component uncovered by Ad-aware 6.0 in a follow-up scan (we ran Ad-aware immediately after the completion of a Norton system scan).
    Humm I never need that.

This would be beta :
    Rapid Release Virus Definitions
    Rapid Release Virus Definitions

Rapid release virus definitions have not undergone any quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response. While Symantec Security Response makes every effort to ensure that all virus definitions function correctly, you should understand that rapid release-quality virus definitions do pose risks. Rapid release virus definitions are most valuable during a high-level virus outbreak when users are unwilling or unable to wait for virus definitions that have undergone full quality assurance testing.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Most AVs are poor at detecting spyware, adware AND TROJANS

In a recent test I read, NAV was particularly mediocre (Kaspersky and F-Secure came top).

I would be inclined to use other software for this task, as suggested by my fellow members.

Cheers

I use NAV 2003 on Win98 & XP machines. AdAware & Spybot S & D take care of the spyware.
    I do not advise using NAV 2004 for any purpose under any conditions.

FatPhantom,
    beta defs can be obtained at <http://securityresponse.symantec.com....download.html>.