Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTTP my own PC

Exclamation HTTP my own PC

why is it that when i try netstat -n, or any other prog, i get 172.16.1.34 as my IP. But whatismyipaddress.com tells me 69.37.97.153, and my domain is 69.37.97.153.adsl.snet.net.

neither of which i can acces via IE even with D: drive shared. Do I have to have a web server app such as Apache to allow others to access my PC via HTTP?

And why is my IP different for the two of those. The 172.16.1.34 shows up fine in NeoTrace Pro, but the other shows up with all kinds of unknown data. Which is my real IP, and which is something else, and what is that something else?

Thanx for your time.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

I think you're getting confused. While your IP may show up in netstat... netstat is used to show connections.

ipconfig /all will show you your ip address.

you do need an HTTP server installed for people to access your webpage.

If you just want to share files, have them map to your drive...

right click on network neighborhood, map network drive,

choose drive letter and the for the path... have them put in \\ipaddress\sharename

however... this is NOT secure...

I would not use this method. I'd use http or ftp and make sure you have a firewall on blocking everyone except for those you want to have access.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

That's right you wouldn't wanna set up your box. And have some dude turn it into a "Warez" site, i've seen it happen and it's a real PAIN to get rid off.

cheers
    ..::Front2back::..

Antionline Herpetologist
    Phish, I can't believe you didn't spot that he's behind a router . AxessTerminated, a 172.xxx.xxx.xxx means that your ISP is using a router with Network Address Translation (NAT). The addresses 10.xxx.xxx.xxx , 192.168.xxx.xxx and 172.xx.xxx.xxx are called private IP addresses. What this means that machines having these addresses cannot ordinarily be accessed from the net. Any machine outside your LAN would see you as having the IP address of the router (69.37.97.153 in your case). Most probably, your ISP has a no server clause in their AUP and wouldn't like you running a server anyway.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi

EDIT: That was a joke, phish (considering you were the first person to tell me what NAT was and how to get around it )
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Talking

Yup,

The reason you are seeing a 172.xxx.xxx.xxx address is because you are behind a device (router, firewall or so on) that is providing NAT to your internal PC's.

Since its a 172.x.x.x address is suspect it is a company intranet, local LAN because most SOHO routers come with default 192.x.x.x private IP range as default.

Router is probably handing you out a DHCP generated address of 172.x.x.x which does not work on the internet, when you send a message or go to a website or so on, your packets hit the default gateway(router) and your router provides NAT translation, it basicly uses the WAN interface of the router to provide a IP address that can be replied to...and adds your internal ip address to a database that lets it know where the information is supposed to go when it needs to drop off information to your pc.

Also, would he be able to set a static IP address on his PC, and put a pinhole configuration on the router to direct a specific port on the router to forward to his HTTP service? such as IIS or PWS if applicable? I know its not recommended, just throwing it out there...

Hope that helps with that part of the question!!!

No Worries, Im sure Phish was thinking it, haha, I got your back man :-)
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

Antionline Herpetologist
    Also, would he be able to set a static IP address on his PC, and put a pinhole configuration on the router to direct a specific port on the router to forward to his HTTP service? such as IIS or PWS if applicable? I know its not recommended, just throwing it out there...
    The admin *could* give him a static IP and forward port 80 to his comp, thus allowing him to run a webserver on port 80. But I really don't think that's gonna happen. Admins don't like enabling port forwarding (with good reason too, it's a major security hole) unless they have to,

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)

Thumbs up No Admin Here

Nope, it's my home PC with a 2wire wireless USB connection to the Router/Modem in the other room that's on another PC. No admins. I got Apache server, and I can access my own page via HTTP, but my friend cannot. I disabled Norton Firewall, and ran Apache Console, but he can't get access. I typed http://172.16.1.34, and got the page, but he got a "page not found error". How can I setup this thing up to run an HTTP server. Keep in mind I am a programmer, not a security expert, so many of the acronyms and abbreviations you use make little sense to me, I am still learning that end of the bridge.

You need to take cgkanchi's advice and apply it to your home router; forward port 80 to your computer's local ip; you will do this by logging into the router and following its directions. Then whoever outside your network types in your ip addy will automatically be forwarded to your computer with apache.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Also, you need to use your external (WAN) IP (the one you get when you go to whatismyip.com). Your friend (assuming he's outside the LAN) has to type http://69.37.97.153 rather than http://172.16.1.34 .

Cheers,
    cgkanchi

Exclamation forwarding?

Grr...I looked through every option I could find about forwarding ports, and found nothing, nor could I get it to allow many apps through. I can use Kazaa, AIM, IE, SBC Browser, ABC (torrents), Filezilla, and a few more...but Trillian, gAIM, Apache, Shareaza, and many other apps don't work. What can I do? I can't even find the option to disable the firewall.