Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YasT Bootloader Config

YasT Bootloader Config

Well, i'm installing suse right now on another computer, and i went to go configure the bootloader, and windows was not recognized. however, the partitioning wizard recognized my windows partition. also, i have a bootloader that was left on my HDD when i unistalled mandrake, which does recognize windows. my question is, if i tell Yast not to install a bootloader, can i use the one i have now to access windows and Suse? i'm assuming if i tell it to not install one, and went on installing suse, i would be able to access my windows partition because it is still the same as before the installation. but then again, we all know the old sayiing about assume. any help would be greatly appreciated...

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What bootloader is SUSE using: Grub or Lilo? You can usually easily add other OSes to the boot loader.

As an example, in my /etc/lilo.conf I've put in:

other = /dev/hda2
    label = DOS
    table = /dev/hda
    So if I know where my Windows partition is or if it changes, I just quickly alter it here.

Oh, and IMHO, it's better to have a bootloader that's installed by the OS. Old bootloaders may have specifications to previous installs and might just make your life miserable rather than help.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

SuSE uses the Groub bootloader however SuSE versions 8.1 and later do not recognize NTFS partitions, so as far as I can see I belive the problems lies within the fact that you are using Windows XP.
    Correct me if I'm wrong!
    -HDD

Eh, i'm not using NTFS. I upgraded from ME, so it is FAT32.
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

..SuSE versions 8.1 and later do not recognize NTFS partitions
    That doesn't make sense since the kernel recognizes NTFS since 2.4 (I think) and reads it (doesn't write however). But given it's FAT32 there should be no reason why it's not picking it up (other than it being anal -- I've found some linuxes -- lord knows why -- will pick up the Windows partition and some won't).

This link at LinuxQuestions.org will probably help you in regards to putting Windows into the Grub file. Although it's for Red Hat, grub is grub. (btw, that's a good site to visit if you haven't been there yet).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Sorry about that then.
    The best thing I can think of would be for you to re-format just the Linux partitions (if I remember correctly this can be done durring the SuSE installation) that way the Mandrake bootloader would be wiped and the SuSE one would replace it.
    That is what I would do as I've never had any problems with my SuSE Grub bootloader.

Remember though, when your messing about with partitions its always a good idea to play safe and make backups of everything on the hard-drive as you never know what might happen
    -HDD

BIOS Bomber
    Sometimes it depends on how you have the partitions set up too. Linux can pick up the partitions, but if they havbe erros they might miss them.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Originally posted here by HDD
    The best thing I can think of would be for you to re-format just the Linux partitions
    well, i've already tried that, the bootloader was installed to /dev/hda. I'm checking out MsM's link now, seems kinda like what i need, they are using two HDD's and i only have one. should i be able to just put in the commands in to grub.conf with out another HDD? But i'm still not sure how to get rid of the mandrake bootloader. thanks for all your help...

slick

[edit] figured out how to get rid of the bootloader, i'm gonna try to install suse again [/edit]

[/edit2] well, i tried putting it in grub.conf, didnt work. put it in menu.lst, and it showed up under available sections. the specs are:

Section Name : Windows XP
    Section Type: Other
    Device: /dev/null
    Map: map (hd0) (hd1), map (hd1) (hd0)
    Rootnoverify: (hd1,0)
    Chainloader:+1
    makeactive: true
    i'm not gonna install it now, could someone who knows what they are doing look at that and see if they see anything that would make me unable to boot windows.

Might want to look at Linuxquestions.org. I went through there doing a search (as I said I don't use grub because I'm not familar with it's various settings). You may not necessarily be getting an answer for the same reason: most people probably use Lilo (easier to configure sometimes)

well, what i was really a little leery of was thr device: /dev/null? i have windows installed to /dev/hda1 should i change the device to that?

slick