Thread: Can't see mouse: Spyware?

Angry Can't see mouse

hello, i have been having problems with my mouse, i can't see it. I know it's there because i can still use it. the only way for me to see it is to use the mouse trail, but i can't actually see the pointer, just the tail. anybody know how to fix this???

it's getting very annoying

hi AJBcoolman8 what OS do you use?
    in windows go to the "mouse properties" in the control panel and in the pointer tab change the scheme to "Windows Standard" see if that helps

Hmmm,

Sounds like it could be file/driver corruption?

Do you see it if you boot into safe mode? (You won't in 98/ME if it is PS2 or USB, but a serial device should be detected)

As a first shot I would uninstall and reboot so windows redetects it, then try reinstalling the drivers.

As wOlverine says "what OS" also what mouse (PS2/USB/Serial)

Cheers

Knowing your OS and the model/type of mouse would be helpful. Have you checked the connection? Depending on the type of mouse, it may need a little cleaning (even optical mice get dirty) and as nihil suggested, you should check your driver files - they may be corrupted or need an update. Your video card might have the cursor moving too fast to detect - so slowing down the cursor speed in Control Panel may help. If you have an Intellimouse - there have been user reviews complaining of the disappearing cursor problem - but no solution. Another possibility is that you've got some sort of spy/adware on your system. Run Spybot, AdAware first (make sure you've got the latest updates) then run HijackThis. If you post your results, I'm sure someone will be able to spot the culprit for you if Spybot or AdAware don't fix the problem.

I was surprised at all the possibilities when I did a bit of digging regarding your problem . . . Good luck.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

i think that it was some kind of spyware because i ran spybot and ad-aware and it found a couple spyware thingys so i deleted them and now i can see the mouse!

good 4 u!
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

AJBcoolman8 ,

But what"ones" did You have.. did you try any of the other ideas? and in what order.. some of us like to know

a/ so we can learn
    b/ so it will be easier to help others, on this and other forums, who report similar problems.
    c/ [joke] we like to stick our noses into others business and laugh at them on other forums[/joke]

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I, like Und3rtak3r, am curious as to the names of the 'spyware thingys'. The 'disappearing cursor' or mouse was a problem relating to the "Apropos Client" and is a form of spyware. (I found it interesting to note the Poster was running NetZero . . . not sure if there was a connection but then again, I have my own opinions of NetZero as an ISP.) When I checked out the Apropos Client in the same forum . . . it was linked to the Peper trojan, which apparently requires special handling in order to delete it.

Anyway, if you remember the spyware names and could post them here - that would be great. I'm glad you were able to resolve your problem so quickly.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.