Thread: User settings - Win2KPro

User settings - Win2KPro

Hi all,
    This is my first post here. G'day from Sydney.
    I'm having a tough time finding an answer to this.... challenge.
    I'm about to re-install Win2KPro, and what I want to do is to set up 2 user accounts.
    One called 'admin' (with admin privleges... have I spelt privleges correctly? doesn't look right), and one called 'audio'.
    What I want to be able to do is allow all relevent network components to be loaded when logged in under the 'admin' profile, but for all those same network services and components to be disable when logged in under 'audio'.
    This way, I should be safe from outside attacks when logged in as 'audio' (I have a cable modem, therefore I'm 'always on' if you get my drift).
    But if I need to get on the net (I often receive voice tracks that I have to edit and mix via ftp) for a download, I don't want to have to reboot completely just to load a different hardware profile.
    If I could just log out of 'audio', log in as 'admin', download, log out of 'admin' and back in as 'audio', it would be a whole lot quicker.
    If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear 'em!
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Audio2U
    The home of quality podcasts

Just run through an give permissions by users and setup a permission based firewall.

Sounds good.... would you mind explaining it in detail, or point me to somewhere I might find out how to accomplish that, please?
    That would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Audio2U

Regal Making Handler
    Audio2u,

I'm not that up on win2000 but with xp you can enable fast user switching. This lets you log out of one account into another without rebooting. I think the same is true of 2000.

Also if you run gpedit.msc from start>run>gpedit.msc You will be able to configure quit alot for each account you can disable ie address bar etc lock out the tools menue in ie and alot of other neat tricks. Not sure about the net access but there maybe some settings you can tweek for a restricted account.

Hope that helps

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

jinxy,
    Been there, done that.
    I thought that would have worked, too!
    But when I disable a service under "local computer policy/User configuration/Windows settings", it affects all users, not just the currently logged-in user.
    Logic would dictate that it would only affect the currently logged-in user, but where do I get off mentioning microsoft and logic in the one idea?
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Audio2U

A quick and dirty way to do it would be to set all the services that will vary by user to manual and then create a batch file that runs on startup for the admin account starting the services you want.

The commands you would want in the batch file would be in the following format:
    net start service_name