Thread: Fedora LAN Login for internet how?

Question Fedora LAN Login for internet how?

Hi all,
    I'm new here and have just installed fedora on my machine with dual boot option. Now I have learned some commands on linux (just basic). I have Broadband connection to net via LAN method and so i have to login to lan before being able to surf net. Now i have activated my card but don't know how to supply username and password to get access. On my windows xp there is cyberoam 24hour online client for this purpose.
    I searched net and found cyberoam client on sourceforge.net for linux -but it is not working as using mod command( as told in readme) it doesnt bring and option command line.

So please help me in this case or direct me to link that can help , Thank You
    It\'s all about sense of power.

I just got the readme from the sourceforge version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/cyberoam/
    and this is what the readme had to say:

Steps:
    1. copy client exe to /root folder
    2. Be super or Root user
    3. do chmod 755 /root/24onlineClient
    4. at #prompt type : 24onlineClient -s
    1. It will ask you for AskonExit: type y
    2. it will ask for AutoLogin: type n
    3. it will ask for ShowNotification: type y
    4. It will ask for server ip address: type 172.16.0.1 or whatever is 24online server ip address.
    5. Then run at # prompt this line : /root/24onlineClient -u username (username means whatever username you have created in 24online GUI) like manager, administrator ..etc
    6. It will ask for password. (password is case sensitive) make sure about casename.
    7. and Last type Enter. it will login.
    8. You can check instance of 24online Client running by command at #ps -ef
    9. You can Logout by typing command as #/root/24onlineClient -l

By mod command do you mean chmod? Because that just sets permissions on who can run it, you still need to actually run the program like it says in step 4 and then 5 to get it set up and then login.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

yeah thats what i'm talking about
    after i typr in command as in step 4 it ask for nothing just as if i have pressed 'enter' but no command or no question appears. It just shows prompt.
    Thats why i thought i may have not done chmod command properly but i done it as exactly written above

If you typed in chmod wrong it would tell you that you don't have permissions when you try to run it. Now you said you typed it in "24onlineClient -s" and there's nothing, not even a warning message saying it can't find the file specified?

[edit] I just noticed this, did you type in chmod and nothing happened so you don't know what to do? Because if chmod works nothing shows on the screen, it only tells you if something went wrong. If that's the case you need to type in "/root/24onlineClient -s" now and then you should get the prompts.[/edit]
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

thanx for ur reply pecosian but it is not working i'm trying from 2 days and after i type in command as in 4th step i don't get any prompts . I have also read man page for : and its parameter -s , i even changed it to -S but to no avail.
    So here i'm again visiting this forum using my xp box.
    I think there is some problem with cyberoam client on fedora.

So anyone here know how to write script or any link on that which can login to supplied server ip address over LAN when promted or whenver i boot up linux.

thanx

I have a little question
    Isn't this process like authorizing and not login to remote host ? So it must be like connecting to remote host (not telnet ) and then supplying username and password because that is only network i'm connected to and hence after authorizing i'll be able to browse net as in my windows box?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Here's a question. Are you trying this from the GUI? If you are, then run either konsole (if you're on KDE) and gnome-terminal (if you're on GNOME) and try typing the command at the prompt.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

No I'm not trying this from GUI, I'm using gnome-terminal and doing it as in readme of client but it's not working and now there is new problem
    I have just reinstalled fedora and now i can ping my card using my ip address but when i ping server it says network unreachable, whereas there no problem on windows i'm using rite now.
    also no ifconfig command is working. What am i doing wrong?

I have checked my installation and found that i have installed nearly all networking tool but......?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Check your IP, subnet mask and gateway.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com