Thread: Where to download linux Distros

Where to download linux Distros

Hi,
    I would like to use Red Hat 9 and Suse can anybody point me to a fast download site please.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Dead Man Walking
    your going to have a hard time with the suse unless you feel confident doing an ftp install. I personaly have never tried it. as MsMittens said www.linuxiso.org is your best bet. Last time i checked Suse had a live evaluation CD available for download or you can install from their ftp server but those are your only options without buying it.

Ok so which distro should i use?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It's up to you. Depends on how much time and effort you want to put in. For starters I recommend one of the more common distros like Redhat or Suse (these are the ones you'll get the most help with since they are the most common). You can visit http://www.linuxquestions.org for help if you need it or here (help mileage at AO varies from distro to distro).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ok so which distro should i use?
    Another option might be live Linux. Lately I've been really into the live distro thing (Linux that boots from CD). So far I've tried Knoppix-STD and Phlak. I like Phlak better. Knoppix is also a popular one. Here are some links:

www.phlak.org - PHLAK
    www.knoppix-std.org - Knoppix STD
    www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html - Knoppix
    www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=cd - DistroWatch list of live distros

The advantage of live distros is there is no installation required. You can just pop the CD in and fool around to your heart's content

I've also tried Red Hat (briefly). The installation was pretty straightforward. Partitioning was the only problematic part for me. Got it to work after a couple tries. It worked well except for the fact that the computer was realllllly slow.

Anyways, good luck. Sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for
    mjk

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you choose a live one, you won't be able to write to the HD if you have Windows 2k or XP (and maybe NT not sure). AFAIK, Linux can't write to the NTFS file system... Or maybe it'll just screw it up if you try. Just keep that in mind when you're choosing Later