Thread: Suse9.0 On Ntfs Hard Drive!

Suse9.0 On Ntfs Hard Drive!

HEYYYYY WHAT'S UP

I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION!

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN INSTALL SUSE LINUX9 ON A NTFS HARD DRIVE THAT HAS XP ALREADY ON IT?????

IS THERE A TUT. ON IT?

THANKS A LOT! YOU GUYS SAVE ME $$$ ON THE INFO PROVIDED ALL THE TIME!
    NO MORE BOOKSTORES!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hey, you're caps key or shift key is stuck. Get the peanut butter out from under it!

Now, a little clarification. You want to install SUSE on NTFS or do you mean a partition beside another with NTFS? AFAIK, Linux (no matter what distro) likes to be on Linux filesystems (e.g., ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc.).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

ummm

partition i guess
    let's see....i have a ntfs drive and i need to set half of the 50gb for linux
    so the answer is yes.

the drive already has xp...but i wanna split half of the drive for linux

but is that possible for a ntfs drive?

p.s sorry bout the caps!!

If you partition the drive in half, you will have 25 gig ntfs, and 25 gig for linux. You will have a choice when you install suse about what type of file system you use. As MsMittens mentioned, Linux filesystems (e.g., ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc.).
    Back to the original question, no you cannot install linux on an ntfs partition.

This might help you out:
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/l...397093,00.html

Suse will repartition the drive for you. I have had good luck with it on 3 seperate occasions. Windows XP still bootable after suse resized the partition. There are limits to how much free space you need on your main partition and how big the new partition can be though.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    You will wind up with at least 3 partitions though as a swap disk is required for Linux. SuSe will take care of that for you on install.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot