Thread: e-mail hiding sender????

e-mail hiding sender????

hi all annd thanks for reply
    it is not probably security question but it is in same how ralated to my security.
    question?
    i actually dont want to hide my e-mail address.
    just to explaing little bit better.
    i am member of news group and lot of times read them so it is educational process for me comming across particular os_in my case xp pro.
    spending time here and reading few book i am able to help sometimes with the solutions and sugestions in this news group but i dont want to send my e-mail address.i know it is possible just dont know how to do it::
    how to change it to read like Unvi$ible@yahoo.com so i dontget bombarded with spam and the rest but want to help with my answers???
    so question is how to change first bit in e-mail or just to show sender unwi$ible???
    xp pro
    microsoft outlook and
    outlook expres 6
    sry if i was little bit unclear
    thnks

It probably depends on what type of forum you are posting an answer to. Here on 'AO' your e-mail address is only visible if you select that in your options. On yahoo, it is visible to anyone on the board you post to.
    In the case of Yahoo and similar boards, the easiest (and wisest) thing to do is to set up a seperate account for that board. In other words....set up a spam account. Join any group or board from this account (be it yahoo, hotmail, or what ever) and any spam or unwanted email then goes to that account, and is simple to delete. That also protects your main email accounts from being distributed or spidered from the groups that you join.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I am a little confused,

Why do you have to use e-mail to post to a news group?

If you find that your e-mail is displayed from your user profile then either uncheck the option, or change your address to

xxxxxREMOVE@xxxxx.xxxx

Where the x's are the real address. If you get a genuine response then "REMOVE" will have been removed, or the message will have been bounced back as undeliverable. If they cannot work out what to do then they are too stupid to talk to you anyway?

You are using Outlook Express, which is not the "sharpest tool", but all e-mails assume (correctly) that you may want a reply? you won't get one with an invalid address?

I can see that you don't want spam, but what are the rest of the "rules"..........there are a number of different options/approaches but I need to know a little more about what you want to allow and want to block.

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil

xxxxxREMOVE@xxxxx.xxxx

I've never heard of that neat little trick.
    I'm gonna defiantly use it next time i sign up at some cheesy looking website.
    Teach those "spammers" to send me e-mails.

cheers
    .:front2back:.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    I've never heard of that neat little trick.
    I'm gonna defiantly use it next time i sign up at some cheesy looking website.
    Teach those "spammers" to send me e-mails.

cheers
    That's not the best idea, since many web sites will then send an email to your address with an activation key - A broken address will not receive this.

The best thing to do is to use a unique or disposable address. See my tutorial on this:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=247544

HTH Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Correct Steve...................you may have to edit your addy afterwards?

I find this method easier to explain to non-literate types and certainly if you are using your real address in an area where it might be scanned by spambots?

Cheers

I know that, i was just thinking that when you go onto some cheesy site, and they ask for your email addresse, i was gonna type it in that way the "Spammer" would become the "spammed".
    Because if the e-mail get's bounced back then it's gotta end up back at the "spammers" e-mail addresse or something?
    Or maybe i'm just not understanding the whole thing, but that's not my fault it's 12:45Am here and i'm tired.

cheers

dont really care for replies in news group or if bounce back.i want to give them my input.
    which e-mail you suggest as u mentioned that outlok express is not taht great
    have microsoft outlook-probably same crap??
    any suggestions??

If its something requiring validation etc, I use my junk@(mydomainname).com
    If its NOT something I just plug in email@email.com... if your not looking for a email reply, no one said you had to give it to them...
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

If you have Outlook, I would use that rather than outlook express, it is the commercial version that ships with Office rather than the free "lite" version that ships with Internet Explorer. You have more control and flexibility.

Make sure that you have all the latest patches, and that you DO NOT "preview" your mail............that can launch a virus without you deliberately opening an e-mail.

There are other products that people seem to rate highly, but I cannot say that I have done any real testing in that area. It might be worth posting a new thread asking that...try the "general chit-chat" forum?

In business I have used Lotus Notes, Outlook and the old Digital system (bit limited but almost bullet proof.......what skiddie has even heard of Digital )

If you are not interested in e-mail replies, open a free account with one of the many providers. See what symbols are allowed in the address and try to put a none alphabetical one first eg:

8fred @xxxxx
    #fred@xxxxx

This can cause the address to be dropped from some spamming systems, as they think it is a partial or corrupt address?.......no they don't actually "care" it's just that the fewer bounces, the longer the spammer can use the open relay.

Cheers