Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fortress

If I put a put a crappy lock on my door then put my door in the middle of a high-school filled with hormone frenzied teens and let them all use my door, I'd get exactly what I deserve. Seriously, you do know what teenagers are right? What did you expect? We're not talking about a hardened criminal mastermind we're talking about a 15 year old kid hitting CNTRL-ESC.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Still, whats right is right and whats wrong is wrong..... What was the real need for him to post? All he had to do was inform the tech of his school the problem and leave it at that. No need to take it here.

Don't get me wrong, i don't want to discourage spydrpop from learning (and by informing the tech of his school he did the right thing). I would recomend to him to try and become an aide/intern with the technicians at his school. In this type of field when you don't have a mentor to teach you proper ethics it can be really easy to delve into the bad side of the spectrum.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    This "vulnerability" (if that's what you want to call it) has been around ever since fortress was written. I did the same thing back when I thought i was "733t" in my computer programming class in the late 80's when the instructor said fortress was "unhackable". It was made easier by the fact that the PCs were set to boot from the a:

What I'm getting at is that the same problem has been around for the better part of a decade, so it's nothing new. Also, this "vulnerability" only works on the 16/32bit hybrid Windows OS and most school districts have already begun the Win2K/WinXP phase-in process.

Besides this, this will only eliminate the application and access restrictions on the local PC. Everything else is contolled on the LANs servers, firewalls, and routers. Also, if you execute and unauthorized network application or a skiddie tool like BO, the school's IDS, switches, and routers are going to log all the traffic and you'll eventually get caught. That, my friends, you can take to the bank (and while you're there, go ahead and cut a check to the school system for the damage, and expect to spend your entire summer vacation cleaning up the mess and hardening the school's systems. While you're doing all this, you can dream about all the free time you will have durring the semester that you will spend on suspension). I'm speaking from experience.

So have fun, kiddies....cause your days are numbered.
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

i don't want to discourage spydrpop from learning (and by informing the tech of his school he did the right thing). I would recomend to him to try and become an aide/intern with the technicians at his school. In this type of field when you don't have a mentor to teach you proper ethics it can be really easy to delve into the bad side of the spectrum.
    Thats all I am saying, I believe teens respond much better to positive re-enforcement and quality rolemodels,than to facist school systems dishing out punishment to inquisitive minds. Hopefully a good mentor will prevent the adventurous soul from having to do any of this:
    (and while you're there, go ahead and cut a check to the school system for the damage, and expect to spend your entire summer vacation cleaning up the mess and hardening the school's systems. While you're doing all this, you can dream about all the free time you will have durring the semester that you will spend on suspension).

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Guys... this so-called "vulnerability" is a built-in feature. It's there so that you can type in your administrator's password and do things that normally would be not allowed or would be restricted. I don't see the big deal in this post at all... why's everyone making such a big deal.

I also really freaking love when people go on with this ethos:

Let's kick the kids out of school permanently who bypass their teachers' stupidity when it comes to electronics and computers, but let's keep the kids in who are completely apathetic, stupid, and/or get into fights with others around so that they can actually be a bad influence on everyone else. Come on people; let's get a grip.

about 30 of the computers im responsible for are used in remedial tutoring. when the previous admin had them locked down they were always coming in for repairs. i've opted not to lock them down. now they come in when a part fails although i have seen two instances of system files being deleted this is far less than before.

perhaps a public school is different where they're forced to teach bad kids no matter what they do but from what i can see no challenge, no problems. they're all cloned just in case but i think anyone responds better to trust and software like this is really insulting.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

No offence to anyone here but now we're deviating.

*psuedo rant*

This is from the schools point of view
    (real example at my school btw)

You bid for 30 computers say at a grand a piece. You put all your software on there. (at the time we lacked the ability to ghost multiple pc's at once). 16 man hours are spent getting the entire lab set up with everything that it needs to run and provide the kids its service.

kids later open the cdrom drive, stop it halfway in opening, and slam it shut. The push the buttons so far in that they pop back into the case. They switch the plugins in the back. They switch power supply voltage. Not to mention spit on the computers and constantly say how they "suck"

The school doesn't appreciate its new 30 g lab getting beaten on, and they will take care of offenders accordingly.

*end rant*

Just imagine someone going to your house and doing that to your pc.

now I suggest the subject ends because no matter what anyone says in regards to ethics it wont change the system at all.

the only reason i had posted was because I had been upset with spydrpop (this is my last post on this thread, because its going nowhere fast) and I gave him advice as to how he can go about furthering his interest with comps.

Same here, Im done defending myself because of the same reasons... until you deal with kids who abuse equipment just to abuse it, mainly because its not thiers so why should they take care of it, then *shrug*. The ROOT of this post is it was a bragging post. pointless, and we know nothing new about fortres now then we did at the beginning, except it isnt the greatest product out there. But then again, anyone who used it, or knows of it knows that already, or esle EVERYONE would use it. I personally hated the program. So what? this post is gone sour, and is WAY off topic. Hope a lock finds it.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Since people cannot play nice.. thread closed. 'nuff said.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage