Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prison guards forbidden to wear protective gear

Angry Prison guards forbidden to wear protective gear

This is just downright STUPID!!!!!

From The Calgary Sun Paper
    EDMONTON -- Corrections Canada won't let guards at maximum security prisons wear stab-proof vests because it sends a confrontational "signal" to prisoners. "If you have that kind of presence symbolized by (a stab-proof vest), you're sending a signal to the prisoner that you consider him to be a dangerous person," said Tim Krause.

"It interferes with what we call 'dynamic security.' We want staff to talk to prisoners, to see how they're doing."

Last month, Sun Media reported a guard at the Edmonton Institution was threatened with disciplinary action several times by prison brass for wearing a self-purchased stab-proof vest on the job.

The guard, who asked not to be named, said he intends to keep wearing the Kevlar vest.

"Yes, I'm violating the rules. But management is stepping on my right to defend myself," he said.

Kevin Grabowsky, of the Union of Canadian Correctional Officers, said the notion that inmates might be "offended" is a "complete crock."
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

And that's our government in action. The last thing they want to do up here is piss off a criminal. After all, the criminals in Canada seem to have more rights than their victims. Oh yea, don't forget, prisoners in Canada are allowed to vote so, well .....you get the picture.

Cheers:
    DjM

Wow, that is a very liberal viewpoint by the government. Placing all sides on a more even and level playing field where no one individual feels "uneven" I mean one wouldn't want to send the wrong signals to a prisoner who somehow landed his or her self into a MAXIMUM security prison. While they are at it, perhaps they should rename it so the prisoners won't feel like they are in an institution designed to hold them back from society. Hmm something like, Escape Challenged Hostel? (just poking a little fun)
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I don't know RoadClosed the achronym would be ECH, sounds like a bad taste in your mouth. These inmates deserve something better, something more positive like "PRIMO" Persecuted but Really Innocent Men Oppressed. This would be a Bed and Breakfast of course.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Common guys this is canada...did you expect any difrent?
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally posted here by bballad
    Common guys this is canada...did you expect any difrent?
    Hey, easy on the Canadian bashing . This is the Canadian government & bureaucrats at work, this is not the average Canadian at work. If it were my choice, the guards would not only be allowed to wear the vests, but it would be mandatory for them to wear them.

Cheers:
    DjM

I believe the guards should be wearing them for their own safety, the guards should know the risks of when it comes to being around inmates who have alot of time on their hands and if a inmate is given a chance to cause physical harm to a guard they will take the chance to do so.

This all started when they gave prisoners soap with drop-proof strings. Now they just want more and more privaleges...

Correct me, I have an American centric viewpoint. But don't guards carry guns? Isn't that the ultimate in "discrimination", based on lack of "dynamic security"? Oh wait this is Canada... <---- sorry didn't mean to bash.

I know the guards who touch the prisoners probably don't wear arms, but I would wager there is a gun hiding someplace?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    Correct me, I have an American centric viewpoint. But don't guards carry guns?
    I believe, even in America, guards that are out in the "general population" only carry the most basic of weapons (e.g. Nightstick, pepper spray...etc). Now when some 6 foot something neanderthal with one eyebrow comes up to you and pulls out a homemade 10 inch blade, it's going to be a little hard to say, "Wait here a second....I got to get my 9m, I'll be right back".

Cheers:
    DjM