Thread: Programming a chess engine

Programming a chess engine

Anyone ever tried to make a chess-playing engine?

I'm comtemplating creating one myself and I've been reading up on the topic for a while. So far it seems like I'll want to get myself familiarized with bitboards and move searching methods like Negamax and alpha-beta.

I'm also trying to decide which language to make it in. I am experienced in Visual Basic and I'm *familiar* with C++ (that means I haven't used it nearly as much as VB). I think I'm confident enough in both languages to create an engine. But speed is the big thing here. Are C++ applications way faster, or is there only a small difference?

Well anyways if any of you have made one before feel free to post your experiences; what you found useful and what to avoid.

If I finish (I've been known to abandon projects like this in the middle but I'll try to persevere on this one) I will post the source code in the Code Review section of AO for all to see.

Talk to you later
    mjk

Banned
    Can't help you, but why is speed an issue for a chess game?

why is speed an issue for a chess game?
    Well you want the engine to be able to calculate moves as fast as possible so that it can search up to a good depth in a reasonable time. If it took a week to search to 5 ply, it wouldn't be a very good chess program now, would it?

Anyone got something else to throw at me? Any feedback welcome

mjk

I won't be of much help here either... but,

Why not go to somewhere like http://sourceforge.net/search/ and search for chess.

They will have plenty of info on projects just like this. You could look at others' source code, or contact people with experience writing a program such as this. You're almost guaranteed to find someone who knows what they're talking about, rather than hoping for suggestions here.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.