I was passing on the wonderful aspects of this great website when discussions at work started up about email. A co-worker sent me the following. I am not sure if it holds water and wanted to get some "knowledgeable" advise.

Thanks everybody!

{quote
Virus Trick

This won’t stop a virus from getting into your computer, but it will prevent it from using your address book to spread further, and will also alert you to the fact that the worm has entered your system.

· Open your address book and click on “new person” or “new contact” just as you would if you were adding someone new to your list of addresses.
· In the field where you would type the person’s first name, enter “!000” (an exclamation mark followed by three zeroes).
· In the field where it prompts you to enter the new e-mail address, type in “WormAlert.”
· Complete the process by clicking “Add,” “Enter,” “OK,” etc.

How and why this will work:
The “name” !000 will be placed at the top of your address book as the first entry. This is where a worm will start in an effort to send itself to all of your contacts. When it tries to send itself to !000, however, it will be undeliverable because of the phony e-mail address you entered (WormAlert). When the first attempt to spread the virus fails (which it will because of the phony address), the worm goes no further and won’t spread to your friends and infect their computers.
The second advantage to this trick is that when you send an e-mail that can’t be delivered you will be notified of a failed attempt in your inbox almost immediately. Hence, if you ever receive an e-mail indicating that a message addressed to WormAlert could not be delivered, you will know right away that you have a virus in your system and can take the appropriate steps to get rid of it.
quote}

Not sure about the "worm goes no farther" part. Either way it is an interesting take on getting warned about a worm in your box.