Thread: restricting email receipts

Question restricting email receipts

Is It possible to make an email address that will only accept mail received from parties that use a certain subject line?

For example: an email account has been set to only accept mail that has a subject line that starts with **

SUBJECT: long time no see

this is not allowed to be received by you email account.
    But - SUBJECT: **long time no see would be received by your email account.

Obviously this is a very simplified example, more complex requiem is desirable.

If this is possible - How?

Any suggestions, answers or advice is hugely appreciated.

Thanks to all respondents.

Hey Hey

What type of server system are we talking about here? Exchange, POP3/SMTP? There are ways to apply filters to any type of system, it's just a matter of the implementation. We need to know the set-up before we can direct you on how to go about it, or where to look for details.

Peace,
    HT

right now I was only thinking of a hotmail account.

If not on Hotmail what other servers can I use to do this?
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

You are not going to be able to do this if you are just a "user." That is unless the administrator of the server has configured the machine to allow this type of functionality.

There are no free email services that I am aware of that let you build complex inbox rules. But even with inbox rules the emails are not really rejected, they are just deleted before they hit the inbox(or immediately after.)

Ahhhh.. I'm seeing what you are getting at now..... Hotmail allows you to set-up filters and forward to various folders based on those. If you want to forward based on certain text, I believe that's possible. just look into the filter settings. I was refering to you having your own server that you had complete control over, then you could do a lot of filtering.

I currently have my hotmail account doing a bit of filtering, most of it is by email address, but there is one filter that moves anything that starts with FWD into a folder called forwards. However with hotmail you have to remember, you can only set-up 10 filters with the free account,

Peace
    HT

I see.

I'm not too bothered about the free service of the server.
    I have just always used hotmail before.

can you suggest other fee receiving servers that I can build inbox rules for?

And out of curiosity - what does it take to set up administration of ones own email server?

I believe most major email providers these days allow you to do filtering.

As for setting up your own. You need a server (windows, linux.. doesn't matter) and a name that people can reach.... I used to run a mail server off my DSL connection using Windows XP and DynDNS. It all depends on what you are looking for. Running your own won't be as reliable as sticking with hotmail, unless you have a dedicated IP (or a decent update program for the DynDNS) and really good uptime....

Peace,
    HT

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I was going to say, if you're using your own server, if it were linux based/unix based, you could use procmail for that.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.