Thread: not display cases!

not display cases!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,112525,00.html

PORTLAND, Ore. — The Hispanic Club, the Chess Club and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance are just some of the clubs that have displays in the hallways of Portland schools.

But after the Bible Club at Marshall High School (search) put a Bible and some other Christian books in a display case, some teachers complained to the principal. After a call to the district's lawyer, the display was taken down.

District officials said they felt the display gave the impression that the school was endorsing Christianity.

Bible Club leader Jeff Chatterton fought back by contacting the American Center for Law and Justice (search), an organization that has taken on a number of similar cases. This week Chatterton filed a federal lawsuit against the school district, saying that his right to free speech was violated.

Chatterton also claimed that the school clearly violated of the Federal Equal Access Act (search). The Supreme Court has ruled that all student groups be given the same access to outlets such as school newspapers, bulletin boards, even the public address system.

Portland schools admit they treat religious and political student groups differently than they do sanctioned academic clubs, but point out that they do give religious groups places to exercise their free speech — just not display cases.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

and why not? talk about treating a group like third class citizens!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

What are those christian students doing attending a pagan school anyway?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    Hey, better they keep their religion to themselves. I have nothing against your practice of religion, but if it is forced upon me (such as anti-abortion laws, or this display case), no. If I can not wear shirts with 4 letter words, why can they put God on theirs? Maybe God is blasphemous to me?

-Cheers-

A group of children should be able to make a display case for their club. One of equal size and quality of the other clubs. They are being denied the same access as the other clubs in the school. The government isn't forcing religion on anyone, it's just a buch of school kids who share some common ground that want to make a display for thier club. Put things in perspective.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by silver-bullets
    Hey, better they keep their religion to themselves. I have nothing against your practice of religion, but if it is forced upon me (such as anti-abortion laws, or this display case), no. If I can not wear shirts with 4 letter words, why can they put God on theirs? Maybe God is blasphemous to me?

-Cheers-
    I am dumbfounded by your point of view on this matter. All I hear and read in the news about Christians is how they have violated someones rights by "forcing" Christianity upon an individual. Tell me how can someone "Force" a religion upon you? No single individual can make you accept Jesus Christ as your savior. You have to do that for yourself. All any individual christian can actually do for you is to tell you about the good things that Jesus has done for everyone in this world, and pray for the salvation of your soul. Personally I find almost all of the primetime television shows to be nothing short of Paganism, which is it's own form of religion and is also considered to be morally offensive by most Christians. I have found that most non-christians hate Christianity for one primary reason, with that reason being that they do not want to face the fact that they are living in sin, and will be held accountable for the said sin. God gives all of us a wonderful opportunity to live forever, but only you can make that choice.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

walking past a bible display can in no way cause you to be religious any more than walking past a gay and lesbian display can turn you queer (its a ligitamite word these days)

im not saying go jesus...im a born again pagan. but i am saying come on america lets stop singleing out christanity. this school is in fact telling these kids that what they hold dear to their heart is wrong. that what their parents are teaching them is lies and not fit for public display. im not saying they are or they aren't lies and its not the schools place to make a decision like this either then force their atheistic beliefs on the students. if these kids put up a "goddesses of the world" display with chants and music and objects of worship from around the world or an "understanding islam" display we wouldnt be having this conversation because it would be recognized as their right to do so.

Maybe God is blasphemous to me?

These are the words of someone that believes in only one god. if you really didn’t believe you wouldn’t be so upset by it. Would you be this upset if this were an allah is great or Krishna is the way display? no youd probably think it was quaint or ammusing but not 'blasphemous'.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    These are the words of someone that believes in only one god. if you really didn’t believe you wouldn’t be so upset by it. Would you be this upset if this were an allah is great or Krishna is the way display? no youd probably think it was quaint or ammusing but not 'blasphemous'.
    I know. However some people are a bit more sensative about that kind of thing. I'm playing devils advocate type of thing here. I suppose they should have equal access to it. I'll still thumb my nose at them

-Cheers-

ah they dont bother me! sometimes i even stop what im doing to debate them.

when i lived in houston i kept a red tailed boa. one of the little kids down the street brought some friends over and begged me to show them. they were cool little kids so i did. well the witnesses had just built a kingdom hall in the neighborhood and were going door to door pitching watchtower. being a young pagan i was dressed all in black and wore large silver pentacle on a thick hand made chain when i answered the door with this large serpent around my neck flicking his tonge at them. i have great respect for the teachings of the witnesses and their pragmatic view of the bible but i just couldn't help myself. twisting my head to one side and pointing the boa's head at them i said in my best deep gravelly voice "I think you've come to the wrong place!" they stuttered an appology as the walked backwards away from the house tripping over themselves. i knew it was mean but i was on the floor laughing

i cant hate them for only doing what they think is right although for the JW group its a part of their training....hum! maybe i shoulda charged them a small tutoring fee.

prostalatizing can be annoying at times but it still should be considered free speech IMO. just as its also your right silver-bullets not to like it and thumb your nose at it.

I agree that people are getting to be too scared of Jesus. Compare how the would have reacted to a club that was fanatic about Isaac Asimov. Would they say, "We don't want people to think we support robots." You don't have to think about the bible as religious if you don't believe it but you have to admit it's act least as good as Shakespear. Exudose was pretty damn cool.
    A secondly, I agree that we can't force beliefs on others. But it is part of our beliefs to try to "spread the word" so not letting us try is as bad as not letting us practise. Cut the kids some slack. They're just trying to be good Christains.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

People seem to think we are forcing christianity upon them by putting a bible and christian material in a display case where they can see it. How is this forcing them? Are we holding them at gunpoint and saying "READ IT!!" lol

What are those christian students doing attending a pagan school anyway?
    Well a christian shool is expensive. I went to one for a while, but later moved to a different stat and city that didn't have one. So many times, they don't have any choice but to attend public schools, where muslims can pray, but christians, can't.
    =