Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange problems

Strange problems

I have a windows 98 SE computer thats having some very strange problems.

It can surf the web just fine, but when you go to a site like hotmail.com or any other site that you have to sign in to, it will not let you past the page after you click sign in. However, though it will let me sign into forum boards. lol

I've lowered all security and privacy settings to as low as they can be and checked to make sure that SSL was in use.

I tried to download Opera to use that instead, but when I fired opera up, I couldn't even get anywhere on the internet with that.

I am connecting through a LAN to the internet.

None of the other computers have this problem.
    =

are you connected through a proxy or different proxies by a proxyscript ??
    Industry Kills Music.

No proxies.

heres my my setup

gateway---switch---computers
    =

do you play counter-strike exessively on that computer? lol j/k. that has happened to me before but on a windows XP. Try accessing hotmail through a different site such as from MSN or using the MSN instant messenger to retreive your emails. When you sign on to MSN, it has the option to sign you right into your hotmail account and it should be able to open the page. Try clearing up yoru cookies and chache. Make sure your Firewall is not blocking any of its ports. Maybe a virus/trojan could be closing those ports and opening up some others.

EDIT: Speaking of emails, for those of you who have email accounts such as a student one given to you by your school, there might be 2 ways to open up your emails. Let me explain:

I go to school at Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston, MA. My schools initials are WIT and my school's main page is "http://www.wit.edu. Now, there's a separate page that is used by students to do their stuff such as getting classes, grades and email and whatnot. Now, I could go and access my email through the school by going to the student page, entering my info and continue from there: or I could just go to webmail.wit.edu and get in much faster. Many schools have default email addresses such as that....I.E. Joe Shmoe Tech might have something called webmail.sjt.edu. Its worth asking yhoru school what they use, because i can tell you by personal experience that the school's page is always crashing, and sometimes its impossible or very very very laggy for you to get into your email. This might also be true for corporate emails.

Cheers,

re: strange problem

you mentioned:

you go to a site like hotmail.com or any other site that you have to sign in to
    What exactly do you mean? free mail sites or any site that uses SSL?

In your diagram, you mention both "gateway" and "computers", which begs a few questions:

1. what is the gateway? Router, firewall, etc. What type/model/brand?
    2. is this a personal setup or is this at your work?
    3. computers...you used the plural. Do other machines behind the gateway--->switch have an identical problem, or just this 98 machine?

Just curious and trying to narrow down the source.

Cheers,
    <0

Hmmm,

Before any of you make any comments, I am completely out of the good ganja and my opium poppies (papaver somethingorother) are currently under three inches of snow (no.........not THAT sort of "snow")

I have had a similar problem,

1. Are you still running the MS Java, or have you upgraded to Sun?
    2. Are you running a personal firewall?
    3. Have you upgraded or installed anything just prior to this happening?

It could also be something corrupt in your LSP stack?........try:

http://www.cexx.org

I hope that link is correct You want "LSP Fix", remember to get the text file with the instructions!!!! They both fit onto a single floppy and it works for all flavours of Windows from Win95 onwards, so it is a useful tool to have anyway?

Otherwise, uninstall and reinstall your personal firewall (if you have one).

Cheers

AO French Antique News Whore
    Basic and stupid question : Did you try putting hotmail.com and trust website in IE security?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

By gateway, I mean its a device provided by the ISP. Not sure what kind, but it provides DHCP, but only has one port on it. It does not contain any firewall type of software on it.

That is then plugged into a Cisco 24 port switch.

FRom there all (20) other computers are plugged into the switch.

No other computer has this problem.

Now SDK, that sounds like what you suggested just might work. I didn't think about that earlier. I'll try that once I get back there.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

btw: any of you know where I can download IE 6 the full version without having to download the installer from M$ then let the installer download the package?
    =

Sorry bout double posting here but heres an update.

I tried adding hotmail.com to the trusted zone, but that still didn't work.

Lessthanzero: This is a set up at work, and this is the only machine with this problem.

Also we do have Norton Internet Security on there, but its not showing up in the system tray nor the task manager. However, I do believe it is still starting up as its in the startup folder in msconfig.

I was gonna try to delete but it said I didn't have admin rights

Someones been screwing with my network I think (or at least that computer)

I can't even view the options.

I tried booting into safe mode to delete it, but still couldnt delete it. lol

I can already see that its gonna be a late night for me here.
    =

Hi Cheyenne,

If it isn't LSP then I still suspect Winsock2 somewhere?........corrupt TCP/IP stack?

Otherwise it is the AV and Firewall, or a combination of the two? I will be quite open and say that I have solved many more problems by deleting Norton than by installing it

As for IE6, I generally load it from the front cover CDs of computer magazines.........because there is so much 56.6 dial-up over here, all the common browsers are there each month.

I don't know what it is like over with you?

As it is win 98, try <run> winfile

Winfile.exe is the old DOS file manager, and is there!!!! It can be a very effective tool, particularly in safe mode

Otherwise try http://www.winpatrol.com and use its facility to "disable" start up items?

Good luck