Thread: DHCP & Domain/AD

DHCP & Domain/AD

Does the Active Directory server (domain controller) have to be on the same box as DHCP server in the network. Will the clients see it anyway.

re: DHCP server

The short answer is "no".

Installing a DHCP server in MS is as simple as using add/remove programs/windows components. Same for DNS, IIS, etc. None are dependant upon being install on a DC.

The DHCP server will listen for DHCP-Request broadcasts coming from DHCP clients. If you're in a distributed network, meaning remote WAN nodes on varying networks, don't forget that by default routers will not forward broadcasts.

search MS support kb for more specific steps.
    Ego is the great Logic killer

re: my previous answer

Now that i reread your question, maybe you're asking if a dcpromo can only be executed on a Windows server running DHCP server service?

Sry for the confusion.

The answer is the same though

The two are seperate components within the scope of MS "server" and do not need to be present for the other to be installed/operate. They can however live happily on the same machine and i think is actually common practice.

Cheers,
    <0

i have a network here connected w/ a static ip ... everything is connected w/ a switch... we've been trying to set up a domain so the client can authenticate...

the client can never see the network or the domain

the DHCP will have to be on the server since the modem only acccepts static IP

what should i configure first DHCP, DNS or Active Dir

the "wizard" for Active Dir says configures the DNS automatically but then we set up the DHCP but THE CLIENTS NEVER SEE THE DOMAIN...

everything on the sever is done under Admin account

what can I do ... pls help ... tomorrow is a bussiness day

re: AD & DHCP

So, let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly:

You have a LAN that looks like this:

MODEM - - - > SWITCH - - - > Server
    |
    |
    Client(s)

(NOTE: when i post, the clients get moved over underneath the MODEM; they should be under the SWITCH)

You want the server to be:

a. the domain controller
    b. the DNS server
    c. the DHCP server

No problem, you can install DNS and DHCP after running a dcpromo.

Here's my advice....

Do the dcpromo.

Install the DNS server component and create forward DNS zones/HOST A records/MX & mail records as necessary

Leave everything on static IP addresses. Join one client to the domain and make it works.

After you've verified the new domain is operational, go ahead and install the DHCP server component. Create a DHCP scope that covers the LAN but is outside the range of static IPs you've already assigned to client workstations (else, you'll get IP conflicts).

Again, listing the specific steps is redudant for this forum. Use Microsoft's support kb to pull the procedures if you're not familiar w/ the exact steps.

That should get you going...

Cheers,
    <0

AO French Antique News Whore
    lessthanzero - You can delete your post but only X times after you made it.

Installing a DHCP server in MS is as simple as using add/remove programs/windows components. Same for DNS, IIS, etc. None are dependant upon being install on a DC.
    Small Note : Active Directory is DEPENDANT of DNS and it's suggest very hard that you install DNS and Active Directory on the same server.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

re: SDK

First, thanks for the "delete" insight. I cleaned up after myself....the delete function wasn't immediately available or i didn't immediately see it

Second - I agree that Active Directory is absolutely dependent upon DNS, which is why is suggested allowing the dcpromo to create the zone structure. However, what I was attempting to indicate with stating that

None are dependant upon being install on a DC.
    is simply that DNS can be installed on a seperate server before the dcpromo process is started. Additionally, DNS can be installed sans the presence of a domain.

If my intention and meaning wasn't clear, i apologize for any confusion that my earlier post may have caused.

Cheers,
    <0

lessthanzero
    You are right in what you say that you do not need to install the DNS on a DC but in my experiance you are much better off doing it that way. Especially if you are going to set up a W2K or W2k3 domain.

rabit
    I would suggest that your dhcp server should be installed on an member server and not a domain controller. It helps a bit with the load on the server. Other than that I would suggest the site technet. Here are two link to get you started. the first one is to the page on the site technet that deals with deploying a network and the second link is the homepage for microsoft technet.

network deployment .

technet here

good luck with you network.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)